Winexpert Eclipse Three Moons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks interesting indeed. I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by their Lodi Cab so I’m a bit hesitant.

Caught my interest. This will be my second kit for sure. Got one one pre-order as well.
I was thinking of buying two of these; an extended maceration and a straight.
Just so I can teach my palate the difference.

Attachments

• 19075B-WX_Eclipse-3Moons_SELLSht_X1a.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
I'm jealous. I'm still waiting for the Whisky Barrel Cab/Merlot Limited Release that I ordered at the end of May. I checked with LP, who said they will get the kits from the supplier this week and they should ship out immediately, but no shipping notice on mine yet. :-( Originally (before I ordered), they told me the kits would ship by late June.

Just got an email that mine is ready for pickup. Anyone trying different yeasts or other modifications?

Waiting to see what comes with it. If it’s RC-212 I’ll probably go that route. Will be doing an EM. Probably more oak and some tannin during aging.

Good info. I’m still waiting on a shipping notice.
I’ve decided to make just one kit for now.
Going to try D254 and EM.
Maybe some extra oak after clearing depending on taste.
This is just my second kit and still treading lightly.

Good info. I’m still waiting on a shipping notice.
I’ve decided to make just one kit for now.
Going to try D254 and EM.
Maybe some extra oak after clearing depending on taste.
This is just my second kit and still treading lightly.
I woupdnt go too overboard as they put in a lot of work in the expensive kits for them to turn out well. Not saying dont change things but I'd recommend starting with simple changes like the yeast or tweak the oak but the rest of the instructions I'd follow to the letter.

I woupdnt go too overboard as they put in a lot of work in the expensive kits for them to turn out well. Not saying dont change things but I'd recommend starting with simple changes like the yeast or tweak the oak but the rest of the instructions I'd follow to the letter.

Generally, I agree. At least until you know how to personalize your wine to your taste.

That said, there are some things you can do to “turn your wine up to 11” without too much tweakery.

* an Extended Maceration. Keeping your wine exposed to the skins for 6-8 weeks will make for a deeper, darker, smoother wine.

* skip your clearing agents (especially if you’re doing an EM). Wine will clear itself over time. Since this isn’t your typical “drink it quick” wine kit, just let nature do the job for you. 99% of your lees will drop between the first and second racking.

* skip your sorbate. Cab is fermented to dry so sorbate isn’t necessary.

* time. The Eclipse kits should be aged 18 months (at least) before you put it into rotation. Let it bulk age for 9-12 months. Then bottle. I usually bottle a half dozen or more 375ml “taster” bottles. Great for you and a friend to have a glass of wine and talk about how it’s progressing. Have one every couple of months until it’s ready.

How long could I safely store this before making it? I'd like to grab it while I can, but it'll be a few months before before I'm ready to do another batch.

@DIYer Has your Whisky Barrel come in yet? Ours came to our store about a month ago, and even as a first-tier WE supplier, we were only able to secure 20 cases. Maybe worth checking that your store actually secured their cases.

@DIYer Has your Whisky Barrel come in yet? Ours came to our store about a month ago, and even as a first-tier WE supplier, we were only able to secure 20 cases. Maybe worth checking that your store actually secured their cases.
No. :-( I called them (labelpeelers) today about it (previous communication has been through online chat). They said the Whisky Barrel kits were not on the truck last week as expected (they got the Pacifica and the other red, but not this one). He said they expect them now either this week or next, and the trucks come in on Thursday and Friday. I did a pre-order, pretty soon after it was available, and they charged my card right away, so I better get it! :)

Are we allowed to post details about specific retail online retailers/pricing? I know some forums have policies against that, but I wanted to pass along a relevant deal (no referral link, I promise).

Are we allowed to post details about specific retail online retailers/pricing? I know some forums have policies against that, but I wanted to pass along a relevant deal (no referral link, I promise).
Yes, except for the unmentionable place in FL.

Back