Winexpert Eclipse Three Moons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine tasted really really young and very oaky. I don’t think I’ll drink a bottle before it’s a few years old.

I would be willing to take that bet.

Ha! I have more wine stashed away than I know what to do with. As surprising as it may seem, 2 years isn’t tough at all. I started this hobby in 2014 and still have bottles from that first year.

Ha! I have more wine stashed away than I know what to do with. As surprising as it may seem, 2 years isn’t tough at all. I started this hobby in 2014 and still have bottles from that first year.

If you’re ever at a loss over what to do with your wine, I can send you my address. [emoji1303]

I don’t have that problem. I get into a new red wine at about the 2 year mark and it’s gone in about a year and a half. White wines get into rotation quicker and are gone just as fast.

Last edited:
If you’re ever at a loss over what to do with your wine, I can send you my address. [emoji1303]

I don’t have that problem. I get into a new red wine at about the 2 year mark and it’s gone in about a year and a half. Wine wines get into rotation quicker and are gone just as fast.

"Wine wines" eh? Reminds me of the time a friend of mine ordered a gin and Tanqueray.

Had some time last night, so I moved the three moons. It is green and a little bitey after 5 weeks. Pulled a good bit of co2 out of it with the AIO.

Will need to top up with a decent cab. I just bottled an Aussie cab-shiraz. So i might sacrifice a couple of them to the cause.

I started my kit today and was concerned about the 1.072 SG reading. Went ahead and added RC-212 and a quarter teaspoon of diammonium phosphate in expectation of grape skins adding sugars to the must over the next few days. Going back over this thread, I felt better about this seeing that jgmann67 had the same initial SG reading.

This will be my 4th attempt to make a Cab. The Eclipse Lodi Ranch I bottled last June doesn't seem to be coming around. It doesn't even taste like a cab. The two others I've made were both Winexpert World Wide French Cabs that were good, tasting like an inexpensive cab. I was satisfied with the results from the 10 liter kits based on the price I paid for the kits.

At double the 10L kit price, I expect an Eclipse kit to result in a wine with good varietal flavor and subtle complexities. I'm hopeful that Three Moons gives me what I'm looking for.

Just a FYI.. had the 3 moons drinking it now after 5 months and really like it. With more time should be much better but couldn’t wait. I just ordered another 3 moons and going tweak a little more American oak this time with spirals and give more time on the skins then bottle age for a year or more if I can stay out of it.

Mine is on oak in bulk. Snuck a taste to see if that harshness had faded.

It did indeed. Definitely going to hit it with some TRE sometime down the road just to give it a little extra pucker. But, it’s got a real nice spine already.

This one is going to be a winner.

Bottle this kit today.
Performed 8 week EM, added Tannin Complex, Tannin Riche Extra and a small touch of glycerin.
Also, I fermented 3 kits, each with a different yeast; D254, D80 & D21.
Blended them in equal amounts.

This wine is really great.
It would suck to have 90 bottles of bad wine!

A little follow up for mine. We bottled this a few weeks ago - needed the carboy space for fresh grapes. Still very young, but I'd argue it's already head and shoulders better than the Eclipse Lodi Cab. On the shelf, resting quietly.

We just opened the first bottle on Saturday afternoon. Its been in the bottle for about 8 months. I thought it was very good, better than the standard Eclipse cab. We liked it so much we drank a second bottle.

Latest posts

Back