Winexpert Eclipse Three Moons

Discussion in 'Kit Winemaking' started by LouisCKpasteur, Jun 25, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jul 21, 2019 #41

Brian55

Brian55

Brian55

Yes, it came with lables. Sometimes they're under or on the side of the big juice bag. Have you emptied it yet?

2. Jul 22, 2019 #42

pillswoj

pillswoj

pillswoj

Canadian Member

Yep started it this afternoon, will give my shop a call tomorrow.

3. Jul 22, 2019 #43

jsbeckton

jsbeckton

jsbeckton

Are you comparing the list price on labelpeelers or did you put it in your cart to see the true price? It’s significantly lower once in your cart and I haven’t been able to beat it anywhere else.

Brian55 likes this.
  4. Jul 22, 2019 #44

1d10t

1d10t

1d10t

stewbum

One caveat. On at least one wine, I think the Stags Leap Merlot they had two listings and only one had the reduced price in the cart. I didn't go check the whole site for duplicate listings like that. At first I thought they'd changed their price on me and kicked myself for not pulling the trigger the day before. ;)

In the end I got the local guy to price match +$10 which wasn't bad considering my drive time there and back.

5. Jul 22, 2019 #45

jgmann67

jgmann67

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man

Another question: did you click on “free shipping” or did you pick from the line of kit (e.g Eclipse)? From what I recall, the pricing for the kit in the Free Shipping section is not as good - at least for me - as it is just buying the kit with their reduced rate.

6. Jul 22, 2019 #46

jsbeckton

jsbeckton

jsbeckton

Same. Have always found the free shipping price more expensive so not sure why they even include it as it just seems to confuse people.

7. Jul 22, 2019 #47

jgmann67

jgmann67

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man

I just assumed that shipping to some places isn’t the same bargain I get shipping one state eastward.

8. Jul 22, 2019 #48

szap

szap

szap

Thanks for posting that there are two options for the Eclipse kits on labelpeelers. I thought the free shipping was the only choice and the price after adding to the cart stayed at the $174.95 price at checkout so I bought the kit from another seller. I just checked adding the kit on labelpeelers that was not the free shipping and after adding shipping the price for that option was $138! A $36 difference and $12 less than what I paid.. Without winemaking forum I would still be spending too much.

jgmann67 and jsbeckton like this.
  9. Aug 3, 2019 #49

FunkedOut

FunkedOut

FunkedOut

Well, still waiting for my kit to ship. They say it should ship out in the next two weeks.
    That's too much time for my idle wine mind so I ordered a second kit from labelpeelers. They still have some in stock.

A part of me wants to try EM on one and follow the kit schedule on the other, so I can learn the difference that makes.
    The rest of me wants to ferment one kit with D254 and the other with D80, so I can blend them later.
    Tasting the difference between the two yeasts and the blend sounds like the most fun and involvement I can get out this right now.

I've gone an purchased a 7 gallon fermonster, so the first kit will be EM with D254.
    Now to noodle some more...

10. Aug 6, 2019 #50

jgmann67

jgmann67

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man

I did something very similar with an RJS RQ French Merlot and a MV Cherie French Merlot (which turned out to be just a badge engineered RJS RQ). The RQ was done following the directions for the most part (I skip the sorbate and clearing agents, add oak and tannin in the finish, and bulk age for 6-12 months). I did the same with the MW version, except I did an 8 week EM. It is markedly different - smoother, more mature, darker, fuller bodied. The MV is, by virtually every metric, a better wine IMO.

Brian55 likes this.
  11. Aug 6, 2019 #51

FunkedOut

FunkedOut

FunkedOut

I read that thread.
    I’m thinking I will EM both kits and make the yeast the only variable.
    I will ferment them two months apart, serially, in the same fermonster.

jgmann67 likes this.
  12. Sep 5, 2019 #52

LouisCKpasteur

LouisCKpasteur

LouisCKpasteur

I tasted this last night at 9 weeks and I have to say I was impressed. One complaint I have about kits is sometimes it seems the finish has no legs. This one did -at nine weeks.

jgmann67 likes this.