WineXpert Winexpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday was a work day in the wine room.

I bottled the Luna Bianca and paid the OVZ a little attention. After stirring and punching it down, the SG was 0.998 @ 73*. So, I racked it to a glass carboy where it will probably finish at 0.990. I checked this morning and it's still releasing lots of CO2 (no wine volcano, thankfully).

The BM4x4 was a good choice for this wine, I think. Planning to rack it again next week and add Kmeta and clarifiers. Then, rack and add some oak and tannin complex. I'm going to bottle this one after six months in the carboy (and a total of four rackings with the AIO).

Yesterday was a work day in the wine room.

I bottled the Luna Bianca and paid the OVZ a little attention. After stirring and punching it down, the SG was 0.998 @ 73*. So, I racked it to a glass carboy where it will probably finish at 0.990. I checked this morning and it's still releasing lots of CO2 (no wine volcano, thankfully).

The BM4x4 was a good choice for this wine, I think. Planning to rack it again next week and add Kmeta and clarifiers. Then, rack and add some oak and tannin complex. I'm going to bottle this one after six months in the carboy (and a total of four rackings with the AIO).

I've got my OVZ in glass right now, haven't even tasted it yet. BM 4x4, loose grape pack, finished at .993, degassed and added KMS, nothing else, letting it clear up on it's own. I need to steal a little taste and see how it's coming along....

Do you find not putting the skins in the bag is beneficial? I haven't tried that yet as I usually have tons of lees with the WE kits...

Do you find not putting the skins in the bag is beneficial? I haven't tried that yet as I usually have tons of lees with the WE kits...

My opinion is that since there is so much less grape material in a grape pack than if you were making wine from grapes, I want everything they have, so I go loose and work them hard during fermentation, lots of punch downs and stirring.
When going to glass, I pour through a bag to remove the solids and then press that in my little fruit press to get all it has to offer. I don't mind lees, theres only as much wine as there is, and I try to capture every drop.

Back on topic - it's been 4 days in the carboy and the SG is down to 0.992. The co2 is still releasing nicely, there's a thicket of lees at the bottom of the carboy and we should be ready to rack and clarify this weekend.

I'll be juggling the Malbec and OVZ, with the Malbec just one step ahead of the Zin. Both will get Tannin Complex in the finishing steps.

Racked the OVZ this morning and added KMeta and clarifiers. I'm amazed and how quickly the lees are dropping. In just a couple hours, the wine has gotten substantially darker.

Now, the age old question, "Top up, or no?" I'm racking this again next weekend, so, I'm thinking probably not. Will rack, add oak and tannin complex, and top up then.

I did the final racking of mine today and had a taste before topping up the carboy and moving it in to the cellar. It was very good even at 8 weeks. I mean, it tasted better than the 2014 Lodi Old Vines Zin I bought for £10 a bottle to top up with! Smooth and full bodied and no hint of a kit taste. I am amazed with this one :h

My Eclipse OVZ is now 3 months bulk and 2 months in the bottle and is really smoothing out nicely. Definitely will better with another few months. Amazing how that wonderful aroma during fermentation persists in the bottle. I'd love to try their Barola that was mentioned. Anyone with experience?

FedEx sat the Old Vine Zin on the back porch today along with the Nebbiolo. these will be my last two wines of the year...looking forward to both of them.

This was due for a racking today. So, we took car of this one while knocking out the rest of the wine room work.

Though it just dawned on me - I didn't dose the zin or the Fourtitude with KMeta. Guess I still have more work to do before I call it a night.

This was due for a racking today. So, we took car of this one while knocking out the rest of the wine room work.

Though it just dawned on me - I didn't dose the zin or the Fourtitude with KMeta. Guess I still have more work to do before I call it a night.

Guess I was too busy flapping my gums to remind you. Never thought of it till I read your post!

It was nagging at me that I forgot something... Was thinking it was just that I hadn't cleaned up yet. Then, I picked up the gallon of sanitizing solution in the kitchen and it hit me.

I hate that feeling, especially when I don't figure out until it is too late. At least you remembered and the wines didn't go 3 more months without it.

Latest posts

Back