WineXpert Winexpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably right with just one bag.

Any takers on the yeast question? I didn't start the kit last night after all. Watching the premiere of GoT instead.

So yeast: BM4x4, EC1118 or something else (like RC212)?

So I'll just add that I'm a novice. The Eclipse OVZ was my first kit but the EC1118 worked beautifully. Could someone elaborate what the difference is between the three types mentioned. Also fermaid.

Sooooooooooooo jealous, aren't you? [emoji12]

It hits a nerve every time my brother calls over to see what I'm doing with my day off tomorrow when I don't have one. Actually he didn't do that this time.

So to make it up to myself, I'm taking Friday off to go pick up some juice buckets in Maryland, so there :p

And yes I am jealous I don't work for the State and have great benefits and a retirement paid for by everyone else in the State.

And yes I am jealous I don't work for the State and have great benefits and a retirement paid for by everyone else in the State.

No doubt the benefits are great. Like all state workers, though, I contribute to my retirement (about 6.7% of my salary). The state pays a portion, sure.

DB plans are unsustainable. That's why private industry got out of them decades ago (IBM was one of the last with a db plan... Dumped in 1992, I think). Eventually, we'll get to a DC plan for all new employees.

I have a great job, no doubt. I put in 60+ hours a week and get paid 30% less than my peers in the private sector. I'm not boo-hooing. It's a trade off... I was in the private sector for many years. On balance, I prefer what I do now. Nice knowing that I make a difference.

I dropped the juice and skins about 2 hours ago. SG up to 1.094. Will wait another hour, then pitch yeast.

Last edited:
So I'll just add that I'm a novice. The Eclipse OVZ was my first kit but the EC1118 worked beautifully. Could someone elaborate what the difference is between the three types mentioned. Also fermaid.

I like to call EC1118 Old Faithful. It does the job... Never any doubt.

I Noticed though, that WE will sometime slip an RC212 in its higher end red kits. So, I started digging into the issue on this and other sites. Check out this chart in winemaker magazine:

https://winemakermag.com/yeast-strains-chart

You'll see there are a bunch of choices... Even more than there are for oak or tannin. Only way to know what you like is to try. I was pretty impressed with the BM4x4 with my Lodi cab - strong ferment. Won't know the difference in taste for a long time.

Heck, who knows - choosing a yeast strain might be like pushing that button at an intersection so that you can cross the street. It probably doesn't do much more than give you something to do while you wait for the light to change in its own time.

Last edited:

You can check out this link to learn about the yeasts you listed, plus others: https://winemakermag.com/yeast-strains-chart . There is more detailed info on the manufacturers site when you search for a specific yeast strain.

Regarding Fermaid, it's a yeast nutrient some folks add to feed their yeast during fermentation. Fermaid K is the more complete name for the product I believe he was referring to adding. Fermaid O is the organic version.

Yeast nutrients are already added upfront to all kits. You don't need to add any more. Adding more than what is needed is not a good thing when your talking about yeast nutrients.

You can check out this link to learn about the yeasts you listed, plus others: https://winemakermag.com/yeast-strains-chart . There is more detailed info on the manufacturers site when you search for a specific yeast strain.

Regarding Fermaid, it's a yeast nutrient some folks add to feed their yeast during fermentation. Fermaid K is the more complete name for the product I believe he was referring to adding. Fermaid O is the organic version.

I know kit manufacturers are in an arms race to see who can make the quickest drinking wine kit, but frankly I kinda of feel ripped off. If you go to any of the yeast charts, you don't see EC118 listed for any reds , and very few whites. Its a quick ferment yeast, and yes, its great for new kit novices. But, you want a slower ferment yeast if you use a skin pack. That way, all the goodies can be feremented out and into the wine, increasing tannin and body. How freaking hard can it be to list an few alternative yeasts that work well but ferment slower. I know we are all switching yeasts, but it would be nice to see a kit mfg step up to the plate and give an alternative they recommend to get the all the flavor possible instead of using a quick ferment yeast, and not void the kit warranty?

Thanks for the info and the perspective I look forward to a little more literacy with regard to yeast options. Does seem like they rush the bottling from everything I have looked at. I decided to keep the OVZ in bulk for 3 months then bottle.

I like to call EC1118 Old Faithful. It does the job... Never any doubt.

I Noticed though, that WE will sometime slip an RC212 in its higher end red kits. So, I started digging into the issue on this and other sites. Check out this chart in winemaker magazine:

https://winemakermag.com/yeast-strains-chart

You'll see there are a bunch of choices... Even more than there are for oak or tannin. Only way to know what you like is to try. I was pretty impressed with the BM4x4 with my Lodi cab - strong ferment. Won't know the difference in taste for a long time.

Heck, who knows - choosing a yeast strain might be like pushing that button at an intersection so that you can cross the street. It probably doesn't do much more than give you something to do while you wait for the light to change in its own time.
Love the crosswalk light comparison. Thanks for the info. I try to only hit the button a few times. Maybe it's time for talking carboys?

I know kit manufacturers are in an arms race to see who can make the quickest drinking wine kit, but frankly I kinda of feel ripped off. If you go to any of the yeast charts, you don't see EC118 listed for any reds , and very few whites. Its a quick ferment yeast, and yes, its great for new kit novices. But, you want a slower ferment yeast if you use a skin pack. That way, all the goodies can be feremented out and into the wine, increasing tannin and body. How freaking hard can it be to list an few alternative yeasts that work well but ferment slower. I know we are all switching yeasts, but it would be nice to see a kit mfg step up to the plate and give an alternative they recommend to get the all the flavor possible instead of using a quick ferment yeast, and not void the kit warranty?

Can't say I disagree about the yeast options, but personally, I just keep a variety on hand, and for under a buck a pack, don't mind picking based upon my desires at the moment of pitching. They're in it for a profit, I just need their best raw materials. Every so often they include another yeast with EC 1118, but don't tell you to choose, don't really tell you anything.

I tend to BM 4x4 on my reds, it's a slower fermenter and helps retain aromas and delicate flavors. Then there's my flip side, which knows for maximum color and tannin extraction, temps in the upper 80's are beneficial, and I love big, dark tannic wines. What to do? I let it get hot for about 2/3 of the ferment and then cool it for the last 1/3 to try to keep it from blowing off too much of the more delicate flavors. Does it work? I have no freaking idea.

Then I go to NAPA and drink some killer cabs and zins, fermented in the caves at 60 degrees all of the way through. Go figure. If it was simple, we'd all be producing world class wines. This hobby is challenging and I love it.

Second vote for BM 4x4, used it on my OVZ, went off without a hitch.

Was a little disappointed that Game of Thrones season started off kinda slow, but it was ok, took me a while to remember where we left off anyway..........

Bad part is no book sequel yet to read!!
OT

Then I go to NAPA and drink some killer cabs and zins, fermented in the caves at 60 degrees all of the way through. Go figure. If it was simple, we'd all be producing world class wines. This hobby is challenging and I love it.

You mean we're not? :h

Okay, maybe not WORLD class...definitely the best homemade wine in my neighborhood, though. :db

Stirred and punched tonight as the primary builds a head of steam. The SG exceeded 1.100 the morning after pitching yeast, so we're definitely going to hit 14% ABV.

This may be the best smelling and tasting juice I've experienced in a kit so far.

"Gonna vote, then maybe get this one started... Using the alternative yeast but no other tweaks in the primary"

As a fellow PA resident, and you being a PA employee.... Do you mean primary FERMENTATION, or primary ELECTION tweaks? Haha...

My OV zin has been in bottle for 3 months, after 1 year of bulk. Used 1118. I WAY over oaked it, with medium French spirals. Hope it will mellow out after another year in bottle

"Gonna vote, then maybe get this one started... Using the alternative yeast but no other tweaks in the primary"

As a fellow PA resident, and you being a PA employee.... Do you mean primary FERMENTATION, or primary ELECTION tweaks? Haha...

Lol! Oh, I'd have a few tweaks for the primary ballot if it were up to me!

EDIT: this morning's stir. Lots of action in the primary. The SG is down 0.010 and the temp is a steady 74*. When it's done, I hope this tastes as good as it smells right now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back