WineXpert WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel - ***UPDATE***

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
A while back I posted about my disappointment with the WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel that I had made, my disappointment was possibly accentuated by the fact that the Winexpert Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap Merlot that I made was decent after aging 10 months, and the Zinfandel just tasted flat out nasty, I can only describe it as a funky sweet, almost sour taste that was...well...nasty.
A few of you told me to give it more time, but for some odd reason, I just couldn't bring myself to believe that this wine, tasting like it did could improve.
I opened 2 other bottles in the following weeks, the taste didn't change, and although I used it as a cooking wine, I really wasn't too sure that I wanted to use it for that either.......fast forward to today, approx 1 year since I first started the kit, approx. 3 months since bottling, I asked my wife to grab a bottle of Zinfandel from the basement to use for cooking tonite, I always taste any wine before serving it to others or using it to cook, to my surprise, it has lost its "funkiness", it now tastes similar to the Merlot a few months back. Maybe there is hope for it after all.
I'll open another bottle in a few months to see how it has progressed.

I'm so glad to hear this. I have one sitting on deck right now to start.

Broge5,
Me too! I was really disappointed, I can't wait to see it develops in another 6 months.

I'm drinking an estate series old vine zin thats one year old right now and I absolutely love it, so does my wife. We have almost consumed an entire case so far.....:dg

Roy,
Thanks! Now I have to find another wine to use as my "go to" cooking wine...LOL!

Back