WineXpert Winexpert Classic Viognier feedback...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
looking ahead to 2022 and contemplating a white or two to make...

anyone make the Winexpert Classic Viognier kit? Would be interested to hear your feedback :)

thanks in advance!

looking ahead to 2022 and contemplating a white or two to make...

anyone make the Winexpert Classic Viognier kit? Would be interested to hear your feedback :)

thanks in advance!

Not specifically that one, but one of my wife’s fav’s is the RJS Cru Select Viognier Pinot Gris blend…. She says it drinks great after 3 months in the bottle without any mods

Last edited:
My plans are to use med toast American oak chips during primary, swap ec1118 for D47 & bulk age for 3-6months on one light toast American oak spiral.

Cheers!

Underway ✌

Attachments

• 1222211921.jpg
    1222211921.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 24
Oak is not really a good idea. Profile not conducive to Oak
Gotcha! As a 1st time effort...did a fair amount of research & there's some oaking being done. I will omit for bulk aging. Thanks Joe!

Would you do ANY tweaks to just the plain juice?

Gotta love the process & experimentation :)

Cheers! ✌

Last edited:
I always adjust, I look at the base wines characteristics and move on from there, understand?
Here’s what I have always said first I play my work and then I work my plan.

I always adjust, I look at the base wines characteristics and move on from there, understand?
Here’s what I have always said first I play my work and then I work my plan.
Do u have any reference site(s) you use for base characteristics & possible adjustments?

As a relative vino making newbie whenever it's a 1st time vino -- it's always a bit of a guess -- after researching/asking here & googling.

Would be GREAT....if there was a single spot that listed By Vino -- characteristics, possible adjustments yadda yadda. (...and given everyone is a bit different, it may be a substantial list for Each vino)

Cheers & Merry Christmas! 🎄

Not really, no matter we’re you look it should be about the same.
Ex: pino Grigio
Crisp and bright with citrus notes , green apple , with florals in the background .
Take the word citrus, what does that mean to you , lemon, grapefruit, orange???
that’s what you work with got it ?
Pino noir , black berries, cherries , fruit forward with light tannins, get it?

Wine making isn’t a difficult process, however it can be very intense if you allow it to be , and for a cellar dweller wine maker always remember less is more.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Viognier, the Cellar Classic is a good one, and I've made it at least two times, maybe three. I'm with joeswine regarding no-oak. Also, as an aside, I never bother to bottle wines in this range. The whites I bag, the reds I store and dispense from the 30 liter fustino (stainless steel wine container).

I am about to package a 2nd batch of Winexpert California Viognier started on 03 Dec as an alternative to what became the 'house lockdown' wine through 2020/21, my wifes favorite Winexpert Classic California Chardonnay. She now has a preference for the Viognier.
I usually bottle or 5L demijohn 5L or so, and keg the remainder, - 19L Cornelius keg, and serve under around 10psi pressure in my keezer, so it becomes frizzante.
The first batch I made last September was drunk before it made 10 weeks old, so it seems to be drinkable very young, as does the Chardonnay. This year I am determined to hide some away to age for more than just a few weeks :D

I will be starting a viognier later this week. I plan to use QA23 yeast--fruity, floral, spicy.

A California Viognier? Maybe something I should make as well, as a summer refresher. As far as I recall, the only Viognier I tried from California is the Mcmanis Viognier, that was decent.

Also, as an aside, I never bother to bottle wines in this range.
Neither do I, the only kits I do in this range goes into BIB as table wine.

and keg the remainder, - 19L Cornelius keg, and serve under around 10psi pressure in my keezer, so it becomes frizzante.
Aha, wine on tap! What a surprise it didn't last long. Don't know what temperature you have in your keezer but I guess you will end up with roughly 2 vol% CO2. Do you prefer the carbonated or the still one?

Back