Winexpert Barossa Valley Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started yesterday this eclipse kit. Something worried me. There was no package of yeast nutrient and there were 2 packages of yeast. The instructions said to use both, and they were different. One package was the RC212 and the other was EC1118. RC212 is known as a good yeast but is needy. I skipped the champagne-yeast and used 2 pk RC212 because i had one extra in the fridge from earlier. But should I add yeast nutrients on day 4 or 5 to be sure the yeast work well? I have a package laying around if necessary. Opinions? Have other bought this kit seen no nutrients and the 2 different yeasts? Nice to know if it is normal or if my kit has not the correct ingredients.

I started this one about three months ago. I only used the 1 packet of RC212 - they probably included the EC1118 for insurance so that it will ferment dry, but mine went to 0.990 within 6 days with just the RC212. I added nutrient once fermentation was vigorous after 3 days (it had already gone 40%), but I'm guessing the juice included sufficient nutrient for the RC212. If you wait until day 5 to add nutrient, it may have already gone too far based upon my experience. I also added some tannin complex after racking from primary. Temperatures were quite warm here in SoCal at the time (fermentation temp c. 75 degrees, with some external cooling), which would have speeded things up a bit. I did an EM and it's looking good. It's in bulk storage at present.

Thank you both of you. Sounds good. Only six days, that was fast. It is only 21 c in the room here, so will take more time. I may not use nutrients or just a teaspoon. I will try a short EM because I have no bigmouth carboy. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks in the bucket before racking to carboy. Hopefully it is safe if not opening the bucket after the vigorous fermentation is over.

Thank you both of you. Sounds good. Only six days, that was fast. It is only 21 c in the room here, so will take more time. I may not use nutrients or just a teaspoon. I will try a short EM because I have no bigmouth carboy. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks in the bucket before racking to carboy. Hopefully it is safe if not opening the bucket after the vigorous fermentation is over.

You can do two weeks in a primary vessel without any concerns. Keep a nose on you wine to make sure it doesn’t show signs on distress (earth or rotten eggs). But, I’ve done more of these than I care to count. With good hygiene, you’ll be just fine.

When they give you RC212 and EC1118, the EC is the work horse... it’s an insurance policy to make sure your fermentation completes. It will ferment just about anything. The RC212 is more finessed. It will will bring out the berry and spice in your wine.

Thanks. The workhorse I can save for another time. The RC212 has started the job and it looks fine. It did a good job on a Amarone I made for maybe 1,5 years ago. There is a lot oak in this kit. 2 packages of oak saw dust, and 1 with cubes. Hope its not too much.

That is good to know Brian55. I will taste after some bulk aging and may add some more oak cubes if needed.
I over-oaked the first time I made this kit back in December of 2013. I added two spirals in addition to the cubes included with the kit. It took about three years for the oak to fade, but it was really good after that. Wish I would have let more bottles age beyond that point, but I was a newbie back then and had yet to figure out the benefits of aging. Point is, don't be afraid to be a bit heavy handed with the oak, even if you overcook it as I did, it will fade with time.

Latest posts

Back