Winexpert Announces The Perfect Summer Time Beer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll pass. I do All Grain. I can just imagine how much this costs. Far more what I can do in A/G in the same quanity.

yeah since its still a wort concentrate I don't see how it'll be any better than extract brewing, just more expensive than 'normal' extract brewing.

nothing wrong with extract brewing either, but its already more costly for ingredients than All grain...if you have money burning a hole in your pocket and wanna advance from extracts, buy some equipment to do partial mashes or all grain.

Just out of interest, what are the comparative costs for doing each method of brewing? Amd what volume would result? Not equipment although start-up costs would figure in for newcomers to beer brewing.

For example, a Brewers Spring 23 beer kit (Vineco's equiv to Barons) costs me $24 Cdn and makes 23 litres (6 US gallons). I think a Festa Brew kit (23 litres of wort) cost me about $40 last fall. But I have no idea what the other methods would cost.

Steve

For 5 gallons of BEER I use;
9# grain @ .55# = 4.95
1/2# crystal @ .80
Hops about 3-4oz Under .99 so lets say $4.00
Irish Moss@ .25
Yeast $3-$7 so lets say #7
TOTAL= $17.00

For 5 gallons of BEER I use;
9# grain @ .55# = 4.95
1/2# crystal @ .80
Hops about 3-4oz Under .99 so lets say $4.00
Irish Moss@ .25
Yeast $3-$7 so lets say #7
TOTAL= $17.00

agreed. I don't make 'big beers' so they'd be on par with a 'summer session beer'.
50lb sack of grain runs me $55 so that's about $5 for 9lbs of 2-row. the rest sounds right for my LHBS too.

so equipment costs aside, $20 is the most it ever costs me to make just about any beer I'd like to make, $15 for some (especially those low IBU, nottingham yeast batches)

Hmmmm...... 5 gallons in 12 oz bottles..... 53 bottles.....

where does all that beer go??? :tz

agreed. I don't make 'big beers' so they'd be on par with a 'summer session beer'.
50lb sack of grain runs me $55 so that's about $5 for 9lbs of 2-row. the rest sounds right for my LHBS too.

so equipment costs aside, $20 is the most it ever costs me to make just about any beer I'd like to make, $15 for some (especially those low IBU, nottingham yeast batches)
Me thinks your math is off thats close t a dollar a # so 9# = $9.00
I pay $27 for 2 row and $34 for Marris Otter 55# bag

If yoiu wash your yeast yoi can also take about $5-$8 off that price per batch also. Im around where Tom is price wise and Ive done all four methods, the no boil kits, extract kits, partial mash and now all grain and the price wasnt really the factor although it sure makes sense now. As fas as taste wise goes, it was all over the place. Ive made a no boil Cream Ale that was very good, another pale ale no boil of the same brand sucked a$$. made a few extract pnly kits and didnt like any of them much at all, the partial mashes were pretty damn good and a reason why lots of people stop right there and stay with that as its a little pricier to make then all grain but the area needed and time needed to make an all grain beer is usually the deterrent not to mention the cash hich doesnt have to be much really but most of us can get a little crazy or way out in left field in this area.

Yeah... my math was off above, clearly lol.

and damn I wish I could get bulk buy prices like $27 a sack.

get a bunch of all grainers and see if you can get 42 sacks

Latest posts

Back