Wine's Potential Covid Protection?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Fencepost

Reaction score
With the covid discussions and wine discussions... we finally see an "intersection" between the two. I'll drink to that... red, of course!

Rice_Guy

Supporting Members
Reaction score
I will have to look for articles on this.

Have seen Two Covid related articles this month have found a correlation between using CBD and resistance to alpha and beta covid variants. The work was too early to have numbers on delta or omicron.

Last edited:

David Violante

Supporting Members
Reaction score
Interesting... There are a lot of confounding variables that could be at play in the data association in the article. I sure do like the idea of it though! Yep… time for more research.

balatonwine

The Verecund Vigneron
Reaction score
I am always cautious, and very suspicious, about any link anyone suggests on ways to "reduce" COVID risks. Far too often I have found them to be flat Earthers, or similar, making silly claims.

But I have to admit, the text at this link was very fair and very honest about the limits of the study. Worth a review. Kudos to @Fencepost for a good link.

Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
From one of those articles, before we all get excited about drinking more wine:

A study like this looks at correlation, not causation, so it's unclear why red wine drinkers had a lower infection rate. It could be that other factors are at play: Red wine drinkers may be less likely to suffer from other COVID risks; they may exercise more or have better nutrition; or they may be more likely to be vaccinated.
Correlation does not mean causation. It's really just a oh we noticed this in the data. Of course, I will be making certain to point it out to everyone I know, particularly to my MD, who I go see next week and that's why I haven't lost weight.

Sailor323

Reaction score
From one of those articles, before we all get excited about drinking more wine:

Correlation does not mean causation. It's really just a oh we noticed this in the data. Of course, I will be making certain to point it out to everyone I know, particularly to my MD, who I go see next week and that's why I haven't lost weight.
Yes, I thought, "Maybe those who drink wine also do things that decrease their risk of getting COVID"

Steve Wargo

Enthusiast DIYer
Reaction score
With the covid discussions and wine discussions... we finally see an "intersection" between the two. I'll drink to that... red, of course!

I make and drink red wine for the health benefits it provides. It's a good a reason as any. Resveratrol the other red vitamin.