Wines from grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
I have a place not far from me that can get the grapes and will even crush them into a bucket for me. (I don't own any from grapes equipment)

They said I can bring buckets or buy them from them. When they crush it, the skins will be in the bucket too correct?

I don't have a wine press and can't use one in my apartment anyhow. If there a way this can be done like an f-pack where put them in a mesh bag and then just squeeze it like I currently do?

I have a Vinmetrica SC-300, so I should be able to test SO2, TA, and pH though so far I've only tested SO2.

I suppose I need to read up on MLF as I know very little about it and I guess it will become something I will need to know going from grapes.

Anything else that differs from kit / fruit winemaking?

you can do just the free run juice. on the day that you plan to rack from the must do not stir the must. the must will be at the top with the wine just below. use s siphon tube to rack off the free run juice. then use a colander and small pan. place the colander over a bucket.pan the must into the colander, some wine will still flow, mash with your hands until juice stops. do not over do because skins will also go thru the colander. continue until complete. rack after three days and most of the gross lees will have settled out. then rack again in three weeks after fine lees have fallen. if MLF desire do so after three day rack. If not sulfate after three day rack.

I have a place not far from me that can get the grapes and will even crush them into a bucket for me. (I don't own any from grapes equipment)

They said I can bring buckets or buy them from them. When they crush it, the skins will be in the bucket too correct?

I don't have a wine press and can't use one in my apartment anyhow. If there a way this can be done like an f-pack where put them in a mesh bag and then just squeeze it like I currently do?

I have a Vinmetrica SC-300, so I should be able to test SO2, TA, and pH though so far I've only tested SO2.

I suppose I need to read up on MLF as I know very little about it and I guess it will become something I will need to know going from grapes.

Yes, skins and all will be in the bucket, just like if you crushed them yourself.

If you get a press, you can use it inside. I do all of my pressing in my kitchen on a drop cloth, you'll maximize what comes out of the pressing with a real press. On the other hand, I know that @ceeaton uses a "bucket butt press" with good results, I'm sure he'll elaborate for you.

Other option that comes to mind is a bucket with a strainer bag in it, dump your must in it the proper time, remove / drain the bag, tie it shut and squeeze the goodness out of it. Low cost options........

Your Vinmetrica will take you all of the way home, and lots of advice is available here along the way.

One butt bucket press video coming up:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vdrGCqkqoA[/ame]

Storage isn't an issue either since the buckets stack inside of each other. I actually get some really good extraction since I have a large butt. Invite any big people over and it helps with your extraction rate.

I really just started getting into wine from grapes in the last couple of years. But I should have been working with grapes all along. My best fruit wine is still not as good as my average grape wine. As @Norcal says, you will never look back.

Latest posts

Back