Wines for Summer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
Hello again!

Before summer comes to an end here, I wanted to start 3 new kits and I need your help choosing which ones to start.

I am looking to start two new white kits, and one more red. For the whites I am looking for a kit that I can ferment and bottle in as short as time possible, much like the Island Mist kits when George still carried those. However, I am looking for a dry wine and adding the F-pack back into the wine doesn't appeal to me. The second white I am looking for something that doesn't require to much aging, something that would start to taste pretty good at 7-9 months (Christmas time). The last kit, the red, I would age the longest and not look at bottling for at least a year, also would like this to be a dry kit.

Any ideas? Lets try to keep these kits cheap as well
smiley2.gif

Scuba

Hey Scuba!! Long time no see.
smiley1.gif
I would suggest the "Piesporter" white wine that George sells. Great summer wine and would be tasting pretty good by Christmas. It is a semi-dry wine. I have made 2 kits of this wine.
The MM Reserva Caberlot is a nice dry wine and I believe it is easy on the billford. Very good at 1 yr.
Let us know what you decide!!!
smiley36.gif

<TABLE =maintable border=2 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=#000000 cellPadding=5 =#ffffcc align=center height="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD width="10%">VN47 </TD>
<TD width="10%">
VN_sm.jpg
</TD>
<TD width="50%">

Piesporter

The summertime favourite according to many wine critics.</TD>
<TD width="10%">Vinifera Noble</TD>
<TD width="10%">$70.89</TD>
<TD width="10%">
<DIV align=center>$70.89 </TD>
<TD width="10%">Stocked </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

I made the VN Liebfraumilch earlier this spring and am enjoying it now. It's a little different - not sweet, pretty light, little bit fruity. Not like the syrupy sweet Liebfraumilch of '80's Germany (and before).

Ports are pretty good in the cold winter months to warm you up a little, especially if you fortify them.

For the quicky white wine, I would go with the Orchard Breezin' - they are a lot like the Island Mist. Sweet, fruity, best when well chilled. You know the kind...

Bart, I opened my Liebfraumich last night and you are spot on. Not sweet, not too dry......just a little fruity. Very nice summer white wine. (Gonna finish the bottle tonight.
smiley36.gif
)

Scubaman:

What kind of white wine do you like? Personally I've not much for Chardonnay, so would not suggest one of those. However, I'm a fan of Gewurztraminer and Riesling.

I'm going to suggest a couple of RJS kits, because I know that George carries those brands.

For your first white, the Vino del Vida Washington Riesling.

For your second white, I'll suggest the Cru Select German Gewurztraminer. Personally I would be making the Ken Ridge Showcase version, cause it's easier (and possibly less expensive) for me to get.

Ifeither of them come with a sweetening pack, add it to the primary don't save it to sweeten the wine (although it wouldn't turn out assweet as Island Mist if you did). That's how I make them.

Reds...too many to pick one or even two. Again what do you like? Personally I would like to do another Cru Select Shiraz Viognier. Lots of oak in this one, although I would probably use less than half of it.

Steve

uavwmn: nice to hear from you as well, it has indeed been awhile.
cpfan: I like the idea of the Gewürztraminer and the Riesling, in fact, when posting the original comment I was thinking of both those wines. I have a bottle of cheap Shiraz that I would like to try first before I got that kit just to see how it tastes.

As for wines and what I like:

Whites: I am pretty open with whites, drinking pretty much any white you put in front of me. If I have my choice for a light white I would pick a Sav Blanc and for a more complex one the Chardonnay. Just depends on the mood.

Reds: Little more picky but not much. Pretty much the only ones I avoid is the Cab Sav. Just don't care for any part of it. A merlot or pinot noir is usually a good choice.

However, the best wine of all is the one that someone else is buying.

Scuba

Scubaman2151 said:
Reds: Little more picky but not much. Pretty much the only ones I avoid is the Cab Sav. Just don't care for any part of it. A merlot or pinot noir is usually a good choice.

In our house the preference seems to run to Merlots and Shirazes, although we do like Pinot Noir. I've been wanting to make a goodPinot Noir (probably New Zealand), but haven't got around to it yet. I've heard very good comments on a couple of RJS Pinot Noirs...En Primeur Dashwood NZ Pinot Noir (I don't think it comes with grape skins), and Cru Select California Pinot Noir.

Scubaman2151 said:
However, the best wine of all is the one that someone else is buying.
AMEN!!

Steve

Scubaman:

Just re-read you original post, and noticed the comment "try to keep these kits cheap". Well I didn't do a very good job of that, so here's an update with that in mind....

Vino del Vida Washington Riesling - qualifies as cheap

Cru Select German Gewurztraminer - probably would not be considered cheap - substituteGrand Cru International German Gewurztraminer

Cru Select Shiraz Viognier - ooops - not sure which RJS kit(s) to suggest

Pinot Noirs - BIG ooops - I've heard very good from some people on the Grand Cru International British Columbia Pinot Noir

Note, I have stayed with RJ Spagnols kits because I know them reasonably well (sold them from 2001 to 2007) and I believe that they are accessible to you. If you want my Vineco suggestions, let me know.

Steve

Scuba, George sells a "Pinomerlot" that is very nice. It is a blend of Pinot Noir and merlot. Nice little red wine. imho.
smiley4.gif

Uav: I am interested, linky?

Bart: I haven't gotten around to ordering yet, those 60hr work weeks keep getting in the way. Damn them!

WHOSE PUMPED!?!?! I AM!!! Just ordered three new kits that I will be stating as soon as I get them. I bought:

Summer BreezeStrawberry White Zin
Grand CruPinot Gris
Grand CruGewurztraminer

I can't wait to get these started, full carboys are a thing a beauty.

Scuba

Im pretty pumped. I too bought 2 kits just to keep me up on whites until grapes come in as Im also getting a crusher destemmer as soon as they come back into stock. Yeah!

Latest posts

Back