RJ Spagnols Winery Super Tuscan tasting note

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I'm intrigued. I will have to invest in this Super Tuscan...and will trust that it is as good as has been stated: )

Recommendations on wood to add to this one without a barrel to age in? I don't generally care for oaky wines, so...

The RJS Winerys Series Super Tuscan kit comes with oak. My suggestion is to make the wine with the included oak and age for a few months before you decide whether to adjust it based on taste.

Also, oak does a lot more than make wine "oaky" and (depending on the oak selected) may not impart much of what you think of as oak flavor. Here's a link to an article on oak that should be very helpful:

http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/oakinfopaper09.pdf

Last edited:
It only came with one pack of oak shavings. I doubt that would be too much for anyone so I suggest using that for sure. Like Tony P said wait till bulk aging and decide if you want more oak. If so I would add one spiral at a time tasting every week. Spirals impart oak slowly so you can avoid over oaking tour taste.

Oh my goodness! I started this kit back in July of 2012, bottled in March of 2013 and opened a bottle last night. I started another of the same last month and am wondering if one RJS Super Tuscan kit per year will be enough. Pretty much following the same regime with this second kit, it just got some Hungarian oak cubes while clearing and will get a couple medium French spirals later plus a trip in the Vidai barrel. After that a dose of Tan Cor and a few ounces of simple syrup if needed. Should bottle this one in March of 2014 if the Good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise.

Hey Tony, I also started this kit back in July of 2012 and bottled it in January 2013. This and the Cellar Craft Amarone are the two kits I think I always need to have in a carboy. I didn't have my barrel the first time I made it. I am looking forward to seeing the difference the barrel will make next time.

This is a great kit. I'm going to try the En Primeur Super Tuscan. Should be even better. Maybe?

That is it, after reading all the remarks I am going to seek out this kit!

Hope it lives up to the hype!

I ordered it for $109.95 and it will be here this week. Couldn't resist that price! Can't wait. I'll let you know in 60 days. :D

I ordered it for $109.95 and it will be here this week. Couldn't resist that price! Can't wait. I'll let you know in 60 days. :D

I found a couple of places selling it for a similar price, however $30 in shipping kind of soured me on the deal.

But next pay day I am pulling the trigger on one of the these, maybe even splurge for the En Primeur Super Tuscan at $160.

This is getting to be an expensive hobby!

I found a couple of places selling it for a similar price, however $30 in shipping kind of soured me on the deal.

But next pay day I am pulling the trigger on one of the these, maybe even splurge for the En Primeur Super Tuscan at $160.

This is getting to be an expensive hobby!

You have to look at it as $5.33 per bottle, helps justify the price in your mind! I pay roughly $145 shipping included btw.

You have to look at it as $5.33 per bottle, helps justify the price in your mind! I pay roughly $145 shipping included btw.

That brings up my next dilemma.
Winery series super tuscan for $106 with $40 in shipping
Winery series Super tuscan for $136 no shipping
or
En Primeur Super Tuscan $156 no shipping!

Good thing I have this forum, because my wife is tired of hearing me talk about this out loud!

And who would have thought that there were decisions to be made in winemaking, outside of fermenting and ageing!!!!

:dg

or

Good thing I have this forum, because my wife is tired of hearing me talk about this out loud!

And who would have thought that there were decisions to be made in winemaking, outside of fermenting and ageing!!!!

:dg

Don't know if it makes a difference to you but I believe that the WS are considered 6-week kits and the EP 8-weeks.

In theory the EP kit is higher quality, but the EP Super Tuscan is a fairly new kit. No one has had a chance to really compare it to the WS Super Tuscan. That begin said, the reputation of the other EP says it will be worth it.

or

I'm not sure where you're looking, but I haven't found there was much of a difference across most of the internet stores when you compare price plus shipping.

The difference in price for the high end kits is usually worth it.

I just ordered this kit. RJS En Primeur Super Tuscan. I see that from where I ordered it that thee out of stock. I got lucky.

I went to order the Winery Series Super Tuscan but they were out so I grabbed an EP Super Tuscan instead. Should be here tomorrow.

I'm guessing you mean "do they source the grapes from Italy?" I really doubt it. Is it an Italian style? Absolutely.

Super Tuscans are typically 70% Sangiovese and 30% Bordeaux blend (Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot are likely, also others).

It's dark red, tastes of black cherries and has a nice aroma albeit subdued.

I'm about to start an EP super Tuscan tomorrow. What would you guys recommend topping it off with when needed? Sangiovese? I don't have any of my own far enough along to use it.

I'm about to start an EP super Tuscan tomorrow. What would you guys recommend topping it off with when needed? Sangiovese? I don't have any of my own far enough along to use it.

Sangiovese should work just fine as its typically what major component of a Super Tuscan blend.

Back