Wineries near Carlsbad CA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Violante

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mrs and I may have an upcoming trip to Carlsbad and were wondering if anyone here had some experiences with wineries / vineyards near there. Quite a few show up on the map but it's far better with a little help from your friends!

One of my favorite Wineries is Beach House Winery in Oceanside. It's set atop a hill, and George and Kim are just amazing to talk to. George gave me a quick tour of the operation a few years ago. Very personable, and definitely not commercialized like many in the area.

I enjoy their Petite Sirah, but they used to have a Reserve Petite Sirah that was a limited edition - if they have any of it, it's one of my favorite wines. I'm more reds over white, and enjoy their Cabornet just as well.

If you are up for a drive, 45 minutes away is Temecula. There are many wineries up there.https://www.temeculawines.org/

45 mins is not too far at all~ It would make a great day trip!

I highly recommend Orfila winery in Escondido. The wife and I were members for several years when we lived in the area. They also have a tasting room in ocean side which is just a couple exits north of Carlsbad off the 5.

I live in Murrieta now, just north of Temecula and I will second cmullins recommendation as well, there are tons of great wineries up here. We are currently members at Avensole, which is obviously our favorite, but I would also recommend Doffo, Leoness and Robert Renzoni.

My favorite wines at these places are:
Orfila: Element 119 Pinot Nior, Sequestered Pinot Noir, Full Fathom Five
Avensole: Aventura, Double Creschendo, Cabernet Sauvignon
Doffo: Zinfandel, anything red, expensive but they are all amazing
Leoness: Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon
Renzoni: Sangiovese, Barbera, Old Vine Zin

Keep in mind these are my favorites and my taste leans toward jammy, fruit forward mildly acidic, smooth finish reds. I don't really drink much white, but I have had the Chardonnay at all except Doffo and I would recommend them as well. Enjoy your trip!

Fantastic... sounds wonderful... thank you for these suggestions! We too are mostly into reds, but occasionally enjoy a nice white. It's good to gather a bunch of different tastes. Very much appreciate your help~

Latest posts

Back