Winemaking success!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Ivywoods

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I started winemaking last fall and with the help of this forum and YouTube I'm feeling like it's been a success so far. I've made gewurztraminer, wild plum, raspberry, tart cherrynand just started a batch of possum grape wild plum combo. I have more elderberry to make next.20210731_144515.jpg20210731_144557.jpg20210731_144608.jpg

Ivywoods

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Scooter 68-LOL! Organized, yes. Neat? That's highly debatable! Right now I'm enjoying a glass of my skeeter pee failure that was rescued with some tart cherry, so it's cherry lemon. It's some from the bottom of the carboy that I put in the fridge to let the sediment settle. It's pretty tart and I like tart.

Raptor99

Fruit Wine Alchemist
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
That wine rack looks like it is on a Costco wire shelf. Do they sell the wine rack attachment for the shelf?

Ivywoods

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Raptor 99. No, it's not a Costco shelf, but it is just like the chrome plated shelves that they sell in a number of places with the exception of the wine shelves. I ordered this complete unit off the internet but I can't remember from what company. If you google chrome plated wine rack you will find a selection of them.

Ramrod2021

Junior
Reaction score
Hello folks I'm the new guy.ive only made two batches of muscadine wine.i like your set up

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Your winery and cellar look as if you have been making wine professionally for many years. More success to ya.

Ivywoods

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Your winery and cellar look as if you have been making wine professionally for many years. More success to ya.
Thank you so much! I just started last fall, but I've done a lot of reading and have help from a number of knowledgeable folks on this site!

Jovimaple

Kaptin Winemaker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Oh dang!!! I just broke a bottle of wine. First time I've broken one.☹
I broke my first bottle a few weeks ago. Luckily, mine was empty - just prepping for bottling! I broke my first hydrometer yesterday, though.

Hope the mess wasn't too bad for you!

Ivywoods

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
what the heeeeeck is a possum grape?
It is essentially just a wild grape. There are several different native varieties this term might refer to. I assume the name comes from opossums eating the fruit.

Ivywoods

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I broke my first bottle a few weeks ago. Luckily, mine was empty - just prepping for bottling! I broke my first hydrometer yesterday, though.

Hope the mess wasn't too bad for you!
This one was full of gewurztraminer! I hated to loose it. So far I haven't broken my hydrometer but I know I should order an extra. I assume it will happen to me sometime.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
So far I haven't broken my hydrometer but I know I should order an extra. I assume it will happen to me sometime.
If you order an extra one now, you will NOT break your current one. However, if you do not get a spare, you WILL break your current one. :)

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
This one was full of gewurztraminer! I hated to loose it. So far I haven't broken my hydrometer but I know I should order an extra. I assume it will happen to me sometime.
I knocked on wood as soon as I read this. Hopeful it will protect us all.

bstnh1

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I remember washing the first hydrometer I bought. Rinsed it off and, picking it up by the thin part, I gave it a good shake to shake the water off. I ordered a couple replacement's the same day! :mad: