Winemaking Software?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just old enough for the card decks. They got rid of them at my university before I graduated. Didn't really miss 'em!

I did not know that trick of making an angled line on top of the deck, Craig. Fortunately, I think I was too paranoid to ever have come close to dropping a deck!

Ugg, those were the bad old days for certain. Card decks, I remember making marks at an angle down the tops or bottoms, to help if you ever dropped them. But edits usually rendered those marks nearly useless.

I was very lucky that the first place that actually thought I deserved money for writing computer software, way back when we had a peanut farmer for a president had a Dec-10 computer with terminals you could input your code. The editor was VI-like, I believe named TECO. First big program was to determine the maximum distance between and angle between the Very High Voltage Power Lines coming out of power plants. Just a giant statics problem. Downside was the Fortran only had computed GOTO's, something like IF (A,B) (220, 230, 240) and you go to 220 if A < B, 230 if A = B and 240 if A > B or something like that.

My BS in college is in Electrical Engineering, but the Masters is CS, so I came over to the dark side very early on.

My senior year I worked part time for a NC programming shop doing work for Caterpillar. The guy I worked for, bought his own PDP 11-34. I remember the editor you spoke of. The disk drives were the size of washing machines, and the disk packs were like stacks of aluminum meat platters. There was a certain elegance to programming back then, you needed to conserve resources always. A little in-line assembler could get you out of jams.

My senior year I worked part time for a NC programming shop doing work for Caterpillar. The guy I worked for, bought his own PDP 11-34. I remember the editor you spoke of. The disk drives were the size of washing machines, and the disk packs were like stacks of aluminum meat platters. There was a certain elegance to programming back then, you needed to conserve resources always. A little in-line assembler could get you out of jams.

Oh yeah, those were the days when you had to have your big Orange (I believe for PDP) Manuals that explained every register that was used for a call and how. Assembler was jumped into to manipulate the inputs and outputs at a very fine level. I did a whole bunch of PDP 11-70 Programming making robots move around on the shop floor at McDonnell Douglas (Now Boeing). 32 K of source and Data in memory at any one time, if I remember correctly. My fanciest program I ever wrote was to read the location instructions that a robot had and then take four points that were measured from where they put the tooling today and correct the program from the desired location to the absolute location. That took some of that real fancy differential equation math. Just the notation makes my head spin any more.

Oh yeah, those were the days when you had to have your big Orange (I believe for PDP) Manuals that explained every register that was used for a call and how. Assembler was jumped into to manipulate the inputs and outputs at a very fine level. I did a whole bunch of PDP 11-70 Programming making robots move around on the shop floor at McDonnell Douglas (Now Boeing). 32 K of source and Data in memory at any one time, if I remember correctly. My fanciest program I ever wrote was to read the location instructions that a robot had and then take four points that were measured from where they put the tooling today and correct the program from the desired location to the absolute location. That took some of that real fancy differential equation math. Just the notation makes my head spin any more.

I interviewed at Boeing - Wichita, but did not take the job. It's crazy that my cell phone has more raw computing power than the room sized machine I used back then. And the DEC machine was way smaller than the Bradley mainframe that was building sized...

We are dating ourselves!

I interviewed at Boeing - Wichita, but did not take the job. It's crazy that my cell phone has more raw computing power than the room sized machine I used back then. And the DEC machine was way smaller than the Bradley mainframe that was building sized...

We are dating ourselves!
Back when I graduated from college was a great time for engineers. I interviewed with 6 companies, went on 5 trips to various cities from New York to New Iberia, LA. Got 5 job offers and I wasn't a top of the crop, but I had experience as a coop. Those were the days. And yes, we are dating ourselves.

I use a spreadsheet. With each new wine, I add a new sheet to the file and name it, ie "2019-Cranberry". I fill in data as I progress with the batch. When the batch is bottled, I copy & past to a Completed" spread sheet. The attached pdf file only shows a small area of the spreadsheet. I'll send a copy if you want it.

Hi Norcal,
Could I please get a copy of your spreadsheet?

Please send your email via pm.

I’m an old programmer but I’m lazy...

I use OneNote. It’s surprisingly useful. Lots of free text, you can embed spreadsheets and produce macros and add ins etc. also good for creating todo lists and thousands of other things.

Maybe MS is everyone’s favorite but this one works really well for me

That said...

I wouldn’t say no to having a nosy at the google sheet

[email protected]

I created a google sheet for each varietal that I make. I make entries of SO2 levels, adds, notes like racking and tasting notes. It has a sheet up front that I use for my reminders on when to check the SO2 levels as well as a few calculators. If anyone wants a copy, PM me and I’ll share with you.

View attachment 54778
View attachment 54779
Hello! I would like to get copy too. Thank you in above!

Latest posts

Back