Winemaking Software?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lwrightjs

Reaction score
Is there a decent winemakers software out there? Something for logging and making notes, etc? All of the normal things that you write down on a weekly/monthly basis. I keep losing my notebooks... Literally on my 3rd one this year and I can't remember any of my wine's abv..

I'll be honest though too, I'm a software engineer and I'm thinking about building something. Probably a webapp that connects to a phone app. So if there's nothing fantastic out there, I'd also love to hear suggestions.

There are a few good ones. Like EnoFile and Cellar Hand. But I could never get used to using them. Instead, I do basic entries on a piece of paper with dates and keep it tucked in with the wine during the process. The kits are easier because I just scribble on the directions as I go.

I’d think a simple excel spreadsheet might work here, too. Would be interested in what you come up with.

I have started using "Wine Making log", looked around for a while and this was the first free software that came close to what I was thinking about.
Probably need to do a few wines to understand it fully.

I’ve been using BeerSmith for beer and it’s great. Inventory management and all.
The only thing it doesn’t do well is the water mineral content impacts on pH levels.

The most recent release (v3) has provisions for wine and mead recipes.
I am using it to take notes for my first wine kit and it does that job.
I don’t know how to make wine so I can’t say if it’s good or bad in that regard.

You can download a free trial.

I created a google sheet for each varietal that I make. I make entries of SO2 levels, adds, notes like racking and tasting notes. It has a sheet up front that I use for my reminders on when to check the SO2 levels as well as a few calculators. If anyone wants a copy, PM me and I’ll share with you.

57BB3D69-A2AA-4E79-8A1C-A0775A00C69E.png
896C2B64-127A-442B-B130-F3525D3270C9.png

I am the luddite kind of guy, even though I am a software engineer. I print out some kind of piece of paper for the wine I am making. I take notes on that, trasting, additions, oak, raking, etc. Then when the wine is done, I put further notes as it ages. Only thing it doesn't have that I sometimes wish it did is search capability. Except for looking at them one by one. But that sometimes bring back good memories.

I created a google sheet for each varietal that I make. I make entries of SO2 levels, adds, notes like racking and tasting notes. It has a sheet up front that I use for my reminders on when to check the SO2 levels as well as a few calculators. If anyone wants a copy, PM me and I’ll share with you.

View attachment 54778
View attachment 54779
Would love to get a copy of this - thanks

I am the luddite kind of guy, even though I am a software engineer. I print out some kind of piece of paper for the wine I am making. I take notes on that, trasting, additions, oak, raking, etc. Then when the wine is done, I put further notes as it ages. Only thing it doesn't have that I sometimes wish it did is search capability. Except for looking at them one by one. But that sometimes bring back good memories.
Hey, another SE. Hardly meet any of us out in the wild. What sort of tech do you work with? I'm primarily web tech and mobile apps.

Hey, another SE. Hardly meet any of us out in the wild. What sort of tech do you work with? I'm primarily web tech and mobile apps.
I am a full stack developer, as in all the way from the databases to the web front end. Languages, yes, you name it I have written in it, starting with assembly, Fortran, cobal and now a days mostly html, Javascript, csharp, c++. We haven't done mobile apps, yet, but probably will.

Oh, I was just joshing that the language is "COBOL" not your spelling. Kinda just reinforcing your point that it was sooo long ago!
Oh yeah. It was bad memories that I try to block out. Only one language I hated worse than that Prolog, silly pattern matching nonsense, no real variables. Yech.

In college I used to work at a company that backed up date from large insurance companies and banks onto microfiche. We printed thousands and thousands of pages of Cobol code onto fiche. I can't imagine anyone ever trying to read it.

I am a full stack developer, as in all the way from the databases to the web front end. Languages, yes, you name it I have written in it, starting with assembly, Fortran, cobal and now a days mostly html, Javascript, csharp, c++. We haven't done mobile apps, yet, but probably will.

In college, we made giant stacks of Hollerith cards for our Fortran programs. I wrote a NC machine post processor entirely in Fortran, and debugging the card decks was maddening...

Ugg, those were the bad old days for certain. Card decks, I remember making marks at an angle down the tops or bottoms, to help if you ever dropped them. But edits usually rendered those marks nearly useless.

I was very lucky that the first place that actually thought I deserved money for writing computer software, way back when we had a peanut farmer for a president had a Dec-10 computer with terminals you could input your code. The editor was VI-like, I believe named TECO. First big program was to determine the maximum distance between and angle between the Very High Voltage Power Lines coming out of power plants. Just a giant statics problem. Downside was the Fortran only had computed GOTO's, something like IF (A,B) (220, 230, 240) and you go to 220 if A < B, 230 if A = B and 240 if A > B or something like that.

My BS in college is in Electrical Engineering, but the Masters is CS, so I came over to the dark side very early on.

Latest posts

Back