Winemaking Rollercoaster

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 45163
Among the barrel and Spiedels are the carboys. The Chardonnay is nice, Cab Franc is drinkable now, the Tempranillo which was really fruity (had RS), now tastes like another young wine.

Sounds good. Almost too good. Just be ready for that next inevitable curveball and enjoy the roller coaster!

Last edited:
If the journey was level it would be boring.

If the journey was only up hill I would wonder if I was learning anything important, as I learn the most from my mistakes.

Rather than think too much on what is the direction of the current curve I am on, I prefer to consider the slope of the long term trend line. Up and down is okay in short sections. As long at the long term average trend line slopes upwards. ;)

Maybe I'm lucky or maybe my expectations aren't as high as others but I bottled my first 2 batches which were kits after aging 10 and 11 months and find them to be absolutely drinkable if not enjoyable. I have 2 more kits aging in the carboy and then 6 batches of fresh juice and grape combos and one all grape. I mentioned this in another post that my all grape Norton which is only 6 weeks old and finished MLF very quickly is already by far the best I have and I haven't even introduced it to a barrel yet. So although I'm sure something will go wrong with something I am very pleased with my uphill ride.

@Boatboy24 if you have a chance to open the Malbec I gave you I would appreciate your opinion.

I've been letting it sit, but if you feel its ready, I'm happy to try it.

I've been letting it sit, but if you feel its ready, I'm happy to try it.

Keeping in mind it was my first and a cheap 10 liter kit I was very pleasantly pleased. I did add 2 oz of glycerin a few weeks before bottling. It may not be totally ready but I had to start drinking something of my own. I think a newbie waiting 11 months is pretty good. Your call though as to when you think you should open it.

Keeping in mind it was my first and a cheap 10 liter kit I was very pleasantly pleased. I did add 2 oz of glycerin a few weeks before bottling. It may not be totally ready but I had to start drinking something of my own. I think a newbie waiting 11 months is pretty good. Your call though as to when you think you should open it.

Yeah. My first batch was gone, but for a few 'savers' after 11 months. :D

Rather than think too much on what is the direction of the current curve I am on, I prefer to consider the slope of the long term trend line. Up and down is okay in short sections. As long at the long term average trend line slopes upwards. ;)
Yes! Nailed it. Sounds a lot like Bitcoin. If you resemble this graph, then you’re doing alright my friend.
IMG_1512943852.313390.jpg

Latest posts

Back