Winemaking containers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DYI - what I really would like is a pivotal system that holds and tips a carboy as one pulls liquid. The QA lab in the ‘80s had one but I haven’t found it.
8c40d01fdd9ae48e80f2f1789447a69c.jpg

Like this? I found one in storage at a 100+ year old farm.

The hydrometer read .0990. First reading was 1.090.
Does not taste like there is much alcohol. It is in the carboy for aging.

Ed is correct that a SG of 0.990 is as about as low as it is gonna get. I have never had one ferment that low; mine generally finish at 0.992-0.994.

Your ABV is about 13%, given your starting and ending numbers.

And what kind of kit was this?

I goofed! I thought I had replied. Beginning was 1.080. It didn't taste like it had much alcohol in it.
It is in a carboy for aging.

Ed is correct that a SG of 0.990 is as about as low as it is gonna get. I have never had one ferment that low; mine generally finish at 0.992-0.994.

Your ABV is about 13%, given your starting and ending numbers.

And what kind of kit was this?

I bought the kit from a local shop. "WinExpert Vintners Reserve". They are out of Ontario, Canada.
Just checked the price at the shop and he is charging $72.00.

With an OG of 1.080 you're kicking the door on 12% ABV. Lots of folks think that's "just right". :)

There are ways of sweeting/flavoring wine after the fermentation. I'll let somebody that knows about that part of it to comment as I don't know much about it. I do know that the longer it ages the better it gets. ;)

ETA: BUT....*again* I'm thinking more along the lines of a fruit wine rather than a grape wine. I gotta quit doin' dat!!!!!

Last edited:
I bought the kit from a local shop. "WinExpert Vintners Reserve". They are out of Ontario, Canada.
Just checked the price at the shop and he is charging $72.00.

That is a fine kit to get started with. However, these 10 liter kits don't have much in the way of dissolved solids. They tend to taste a bit thin, lacking body (but not alcohol). You may be happier with a kit that includes more juice and a "grapeskin pack." More expensive, however.

This was a 5 gal. kit. It did contain some oak chips. What they do I don't have any idea, flavor?
Is it possible to add some chocolate to very slightly enhance the flavor?
Thanks for the help

Look at Joe's Tweaking cheap Kits for ideas. Chocolate is not the answer. You might try an f-pack of berries. Maybe blackberries or currants (cab has a flavor of currants) or grape skins of cab sav or cab franc (if you can get some). You can also hold it as a blend and make another batch. Anyway, Joe knows what he is doing.

I have a gallon of dandelion that was dull and flat. I zested 1/2 a lemon and tossed it in the jug. The flavor popped out in a few days.

You say it was a 5 gallon kit. I am pretty sure it is designed for 23 liters, which is almost exactly 6 US gallons or 5 UK gallons. I thought you used US gallons in the Great White North... Am I wrong about that? How many liters did you reconstitute it to?

I need to clarify some information I have given. First, I tried to measure the final numbers before racking for the aging process. My best estimate was 0.990 it could be off a little as it was difficult to get the hydrometer to stay in the middle of the tube. Secondly, I reported that I thought I was losing too much wine when racking from the first and second fermentation. I used a 3 gallon carboy filled to the neck and had some left in bucket. After tipping the bucket (as suggested) and allowing any sediment to settle I actually ended up with more than 4 gallons. I plan on aging this batch 4 months and hope I end up with a decent end-product.
I received a lot of information from this site and I really appreciate it. Thanks to you all!!

Bottled the Cab a couple days ago. Final hydrometer reading was a little more than 0.990. But, it doesn't seem to have much "body". In fact, I think it may taste a bit sour. Other people have told me to "AGE" it a few years.
Huh?

Bottled the Cab a couple days ago. Final hydrometer reading was a little more than 0.990. But, it doesn't seem to have much "body". In fact, I think it may taste a bit sour. Other people have told me to "AGE" it a few years.
Huh?

Meant Literally. To allow it to mature over time. It’s wine. There’s a reason the vast majority of bottles on the shelf at the store are at least 2yrs old.

But even still- you bottled right away. It will taste raw right now. By the summer should be enjoyable. I’m not gonna stand here and tell an 80yr old man to wait a few years before enjoying his labor! Salutè

Make sure you are tasting with the right palate. I have 1/2 bottle of raw (really raw - first racking from primary 3 weeks ago) kit cab sav in the refrigerator. Night before last it was very nice after swirling and breathing for a couple minutes. Last night it was sour and awful. Depended on what I had eaten last or how long ago.
I suggest you age as long as you want (day, week, month, year) then fix a nice steak or lasagna (something bold and spicy) and try a bottle with the meal. I bet it will be better than you think. Each bottle will improve.

Here is another interesting thing to think about when taste testing your wines. What noises are going on in the background. Last month at the wine club I am a member of, we had a presentation on music and what it does to the taste. There is some scientific literature about this, but the really neat thing is the presenter brought a loudspeaker and piped a very serious piece of classical music (beethoven or something) and we tasted the wine. Then he piped some nice soothing jazz and by golly the same wine tasted brighter, nicer, fruitier almost. Just something to think about when tasting.

Oh yeah! Use a red wine glass. It really makes a difference. Tested that theory just the other day. Temperature too. Cold vs room temp or cellar temp.
On a personal note, I learned that blood pressure meds can cause your taste buds to detect more sour notes. Wine tasting really is amazing.

Latest posts

Back