Winemaker Magazine amateur competition results

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMcC

Escaping the prison of past and future with wine.
Reaction score
My wife asked me whether I had checked the posted results of the Winemaker Mag amateur competition, which I hadn't. I entered 4 wines, 3 of which didn't place but still drinkable (a blend, with lots of other entries, a Malbec that had an overdose of Spanish cedar [cigar box wood-a little goes a long, long way], and a bland and bit flabby Cabernet Sauv.). But my Old Vine Zin took a Gold! Was very happy about that. Looking forward to the notes from the tasters they send the non commercial producers like most of us. I encourage you all to enter these competitions as they are a great way to learn and to check your efforts. I will enter the zin in the upcoming American Wine Society amateur competition. Entries for that are due in September, I think.

Way to go, I hope to submit some day.
My first competition entry was the American Wine Society amateur competition in 2019. Took a bronze medal for a Chambourcin/Zinfandel blend. About $25 per entry. The amateur judging comes back to you with notes from each of the 3 judges, rating the 7 or 8 criteria in the category you enter. They note taste, aroma, mouthfeel, overall quality, and clarity.

My wife asked me whether I had checked the posted results of the Winemaker Mag amateur competition, which I hadn't. I entered 4 wines, 3 of which didn't place but still drinkable (a blend, with lots of other entries, a Malbec that had an overdose of Spanish cedar [cigar box wood-a little goes a long, long way], and a bland and bit flabby Cabernet Sauv.). But my Old Vine Zin took a Gold! Was very happy about that. Looking forward to the notes from the tasters they send the non commercial producers like most of us. I encourage you all to enter these competitions as they are a great way to learn and to check your efforts. I will enter the zin in the upcoming American Wine Society amateur competition. Entries for that are due in September, I think.
Congratulations.

I've entered wines in that competition before but didn't enter any this year.

I have never participated but I'm planning on having six entries this year. FWK Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, FWK Strawberry, FWK Riesling, Chehalem Hills Chardonnay and a RJS RQ Nero D'Avola. I look forward to the feedback.

Congratulations Dave! My wife and I also entered an Old Vine Zin just to get the evaluation. We thought it was pretty good but wanted to get the opinions of some expert tasters and compare it with our own. We were totally shocked when it was announced we had won a Bronze!! I don't even remember walking up to get the medal and certificate. The evaluations were very interesting and informative.

Latest posts

Back