Winekit vs buying my own juice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigandy

Junior
Reaction score
What do you guys think is better. I know it depends on the kit and the wine/grape juice. But generally will I get better quality on the dollar if I buy juice vs wine kits?

Any experiences with this? Basically I'm asking how does wine made from winemaking juice compare to wine kits

What do you guys think is better. I know it depends on the kit and the wine/grape juice. But generally will I get better quality on the dollar if I buy juice vs wine kits?

Any experiences with this? Basically I'm asking how does wine made from winemaking juice compare to wine kits
My experience with kits vs. juice is that it varies. White wines from juice buckets usually turn out great. I think this is because making white wine from juice approximates the process used in commercial wineries, i.e. the grapes are crushed and separated from the skins and the juice goes immediately into fermentation vessels. My experience with red wine juice buckets is different and I find I have to add to the juice to get a good wine. Therefore, when I buy red wine juice buckets, I get a couple 36 pound lugs of grapes, crush them and add them to the juice. I might also used black currants or raisins to give the wine more body.

Kits, in my experience, depend on the quality of the kit and I only buy the large volume kits for reds, e.g. 14 liter. I find I can make a very passable wine from these kits for about $4 per bottle, all in. White wine kits can be of the smaller variety, e.g. 10 or 12 liter. This being said, there is a long and involved thread on this site by Joeswine that uses the smaller kits for both reds and whites. Joe is a magician in improving these kits with some very basic additives. You would do well to find this thread and read it.

Best of luck.

There are far too many variables for anyone to provide a clear cut answer.

If you buy a good quality kit from reputable vendors, e.g., Winexpert, RJ Spagnols, Finer Wine Kits, you'll get a good wine every time. Kits cut a lot of variables from the situation, so the result is pretty much guaranteed, assuming the winemaker uses good hygiene and good process.

White juice depends on the quality of the grapes and the processor. Good quality juice will make wine at least as good as a good quality kit, possibly better.

Red juice? I agree with @Rocky, you're not going to get a heavy red from it. Best will be medium body, which is fine if that's what you're after.

Red grapes? Like with white juice, it depends on quality, and the process of crushing & pressing your own grapes adds uncertainty to the process. These can be very good, although there's a lot more effort required. Must buckets are about the same, excepting the crushing is handled.

Good quality red kits with skin packs have become a close second to fresh reds. I prefer grapes, but kits lack the uncertainty.

Latest posts

Back