wine wont stop working! help!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think part of the problem is the lack of sulfite additions. Yes you have gas, but what is causing it? I bet that it is not just trapped unreleased gas, but gas produced by a malolactic fermentation - mlf. This is a bacteria that is used to reduce acids, primarily malic acid in all sorts of wines. Apples are naturallyhigh in malic acid. MLF can take months to complete, especially if it is mildly cool. It works to completion in a few weeks at 75 - 80 degrees and many months below that. I would warm it up, and get a malic acid test kit such as the Accuvin test. It will finish up with the warmer temps in a few wekks. At that point, sulfite the wine, but don't use sorbate after mlf. The problem is then you can't sweeten. If you use the sorbate, you run the risk of creating geranium odors and tastes in the wine.

Once you have sulfited it, that will prevent any further bacterial actions. Degas it with a spoon or drill mounted stirrer or even vacuum, and bottle it then.

you guys are all funny about the carboy shaking thingie! Look for the youtube video coming soon!

Latest posts

Back