Wine won’t pop

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flhtc

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, I started a Pino Noir 5 days ago and it hasn’t begun popping. I’ve been making wine for a few years now I have a handle on what I’m doing, to a degree.

This is however is the 1st time I‘ve used a heater (see attached picture). I drilled a hole in the lid the same diameter as the air lock hole and used the same size grommet. I crushed and welded a 14mm stainless steel tube, sterilized all. The temperature sensor gets inserted into the tube to provide temperature feedback to the controller.

The only other thing was the heater took longer to get to temperature than expected, it took several day. Could this be the issue?

I appreciate any help,

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• F5D2E8F3-7B92-4471-BF22-6A472603B0B8.jpeg
    F5D2E8F3-7B92-4471-BF22-6A472603B0B8.jpeg
    760.1 KB · Views: 22
If it is not obviously fermenting, I suggest you add another round of yeast. Hydrating the yeast for 20min and slowly mixing in equal volumes of your must to the yeast solution helps it acclimate to the acidity and temperature so that you have a strong population of yeast to add to the must. It is possible the first yeast you added were shocked. Or there could be enough of a leak in a seal somewhere that can pass the CO2 before generates enough pressure to bubble out of the fermentation lock. Welding stainless is difficult, nice work!

I'm assuming you set up the temperature control because the needs of your fermentation area. A 5 gallon batch doesn't typically need much to keep it around ambient room temperature. A fan works pretty well. As an engineer myself, I have to refrain from over-engineering solutions to problems.

If it is not obviously fermenting, I suggest you add another round of yeast. Hydrating the yeast for 20min and slowly mixing in equal volumes of your must to the yeast solution helps it acclimate to the acidity and temperature so that you have a strong population of yeast to add to the must. It is possible the first yeast you added were shocked. Or there could be enough of a leak in a seal somewhere that can pass the CO2 before generates enough pressure to bubble out of the fermentation lock. Welding stainless is difficult, nice work!

I'm assuming you set up the temperature control because the needs of your fermentation area. A 5 gallon batch doesn't typically need much to keep it around ambient room temperature. A fan works pretty well. As an engineer myself, I have to refrain from over-engineering solutions to problems.
I’ll let you know how these suggestions work out

I increased the heat to 80 degrees, a few hours latter, the wine was popping.

thanks for your help

Latest posts

Back