Wine without skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussG

Rank Amateur
Reaction score
I purchased wine grape juice without skins from a wine concentrate company. How will that effect the wine?

Tell us more. Did you purchase a wine kit? Which one?

Red wine from concentrate, without skins is going to be a little thinner with less mouth-feel. Less TDS (Total Dissolved Solids). People make wine from skinless kits all the time and still enjoy their results. All depends on your expectations.

Wine without skins is like a day without sunshine. - Just kidding.

IMHO, the quality of the juice is more important to me than whether it has skins or not. Horrible juice with skins will still make horrible wine.

That said, I will prefer a quality red kit with skins than one without. I also enjoy the quick aging kits without skins like some of the Island Mist series.

FYI: White kits do not have skins.

The juice

I live close to Lodi and there is a company (California Concentrates) that works with some of the farms there. During the harvest they sell off the juice fresh for four weekends. So it is wine grape juice. I bought a red blend Merlot\Syrah blend and a French Colombard but they also have other juices.

A friend of mine who has been making wine the last ten years said "No skins means it won't be a good wine." So that's what I'm wondering. It is wine grape juice. Shouldn't it produce a decent wine?

I live close to Lodi and there is a company (California Concentrates) that works with some of the farms there. During the harvest they sell off the juice fresh for four weekends. So it is wine grape juice. I bought a red blend Merlot\Syrah blend and a French Colombard but they also have other juices.

A friend of mine who has been making wine the last ten years said "No skins means it won't be a good wine." So that's what I'm wondering. It is wine grape juice. Shouldn't it produce a decent wine?

If you are a person who drinks $20 bottles of wine regularly, you might be disappointed. It most likely won't produce as rich a wine as it might had it been fermented on its own pulp and skins, but it still should produce a nice wine, provided the quality of grapes from which the juice came is good.

People make good red wine from skinless kits all the time. Of course "Good" is a relative term. I would say to try making the wine and judge for yourself.

Latest posts

Back