Wine with sulfites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne74

Junior
Reaction score
Can wine containing sulfites be called "sulfited" wine? For example, can it be said of a white wine with a total sulfur dioxide concentration of 140mg/L that it is "moderately-sulfited" wine?

If this is not used as an adjective, what other ways are there of saying a wine "contains sulfites"?

Last edited:
Laws require the listing of sulfite in any concentration. Essentially, if you used K-meta Na-Meta in your wine at any point that label would be required if you sell the wine.

Sulfites are not bad. And are necessary to extend shelflife

Are you asking a legal question or a grammar question? Is this for a TTB licensing issue?

PS: if it is grammar you are after, note that there is no need for a hyphen in the phrase "moderately sulfited wine." "Moderately" is an adverb, and thus cannot modify "wine," and hence the confusion that sometimes occurs with a string of modifiers does not present itself in this case.

Asking for how you will word your labels maybe?

“Sulphitilized wine”
“Wine under Sulphitilization”

“Wine has undergone SulfurDioxidification, which is:
I opened my 5 yr old unsealed baggie
of K-meta powder, eyeballed about
half of a 1/2tsp and dumped into the
wine- only spilling a small amount”

It seems like a pretty obscure thing to ask about. I’ve never heard it worded any other way aside from the obvious ways. Tho “sulfurdioxidified wine” has a nice ring to it.

Last edited:
If somebody wants to know how much sulfites are in the wine I offer them - They aren't getting any. IF I decide to include that on the label it's going to be very simple: "Contains Suflites" OR if I list the ingredients I will simply include Sulfites as the last item on the list.

As SourGrapes said - unless this is for a legal reason - you are going to sell your wine commercially - It doesn't matter.

Even if you are doing for legal reasons, then the laws in your state or the FDA/DEA has laws describing what has to be on the label. Go by that.

On the side Only slightly related. - Today I was looking for some calcium carbonate to adjust the acid in my blueberry wine must. I opened a Tupperware container that has a bag of k-meta powder. (Previously opened bag) Without even getting within a foot, the blast of fumes almost bowled me over. WOW! Gotta remember to keep that container at arms length next time. It was sealed and the room (Basement) hasn't been damp enough to induce some release of the gas but maybe I was wrong. Wickedly - powerful stuff.

Are you asking a legal question or a grammar question? Is this for a TTB licensing issue?

PS: if it is grammar you are after, note that there is no need for a hyphen in the phrase "moderately sulfited wine." "Moderately" is an adverb, and thus cannot modify "wine," and hence the confusion that sometimes occurs with a string of modifiers does not present itself in this case.

Thank you for your reply. It was more of a grammar question. I am doing an investigation on the effectiveness of ascorbic acid as an antioxidant and for that, I added ascorbic acid to wine containing sulfites. I have seen "sulfiting" being used as a verb, so my question comes from there.

Thank you for your reply. It was more of a grammar question. I am doing an investigation on the effectiveness of ascorbic acid as an antioxidant and for that, I added ascorbic acid to wine containing sulfites. I have seen "sulfiting" being used as a verb, so my question comes from there.

Okay then. Yes, the noun "sulfite" has certainly been verbed! And then, from there, the past participle of the verbal form can indeed be, and often is, used as an adjective in the manner you suggest. Carry on! :)

calvin-verbed.jpg

Latest posts

Back