wine vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I am in the middle of two stages. What I mean is I have a small vineyard about 1.5 hours away from my house on some family land. Family lives in this area and we just tend to go spur of the moment since we have some small kids. All the fruit from this ones has been picked already.

My house I am planning to put another small vineyard in this winter. So there is nothing to see at this location...Yet, will be in a year.

If I were you I would go to yahoo.com and go to the groups sections and see if you might happen have a winegrowers club in LA. I did this and found a really good list for Texas (actually 2 of them). I have met so many people from this and bet you could talk to some people a little closer. I know there is a grower in Tyler area who sells vines as well. Let me know if interested and I will look up his info.

Cynthia is another one you see around here from time to time. I know many people that believe BDB is great and can say I enjoy it.

I am trying to figure out the best rootstock right now,then I will do soil test and hopefully still be able to purchase some vines,I've mainly read about growing vines in neighboring states like Texas.My main concern is humidity.
Maybe a modified greenhouse for some vines with dehumidifier boys does that sound good.I think I have a headache from reading for days and days

http://www.newu.net/wineguide.html

this winery is in Natchez Mississippi should i try to grow any of these?

That winery looks like it has mostlyMuscadine.
Muscadine will certainly be easier for you to grow, but be aware that they are not bunch grapes.

yes I am very aware of that having made loquat wine and 2 batches of blackberry wine which I picked round 50 pounds of berries.I bought some scuppernong muscadines (organic)and put the seeds in the fridge and some in the window in a bag with a soaked towel.I also have almost 100 organic pineapples spurting.Oh yea 210 plumeria seeds and 90 dessert rose seeds to be planted soon.

Well you do have the humidity to worry about more so than myself. Also be aware whatever you pick that is resist diseases that are caused by humidity. The big killer will be PD like I mentioned before. I would probably go ahead and get an order in for vines fairly soon. I would buy less than what you want to plant and spend the 1st year learning. If you ask the big growers they will tell you to wait at least another year to get the place set up right and do the soil tests but I believe you will learn better by trying things out. No matter what you ARE going to make mistakes. If you find a reputable vine seller they will inform you what rootstock grows well in your area.

thanks scuba I will contact them and see what they say.

Nice bit of info tkutch,all I've been reading about is PD and other common diseases do to high humidity

Back