Wine untouched by wood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyBoy

Junior
Reaction score
I have been wanting to drink some wine lately. Because of minor health concerns I haven't. I have a mild issue which flairs up several times a year. Therefore on the rare occasions that I do imbibe the nectar of the gods, I like to try something new. My query is as follows: Does a wine exist that is fermented in glass lined barrels, and aged without wood? A pure wine, with none of the oakiness of a barrel? Would this be too acidic? Has anyone tried anything like this? Thank you for any info!

I don’t think there is anything like a glass-lined barrel. There’s glass, stainless, or plastic. Adding oak is a matter of choice, you can choose to omit it.

Are you asking about commercial wines? I am guessing non-oak varietals would include whites (except Chardonnay), delicate fruity reds (Grenache, etc), or country fruit wines. None of these would be described as highly acidic, imo.

Welcome to the forum.. If you are making your own it can be made however you like. With or without oak,personally I have not oaked anything, high acid or low, heavy onfruit, light on flavor. All depends what you want. Arne.

I'd aim for wines that are fermented in stainless tanks and aged in glass carboys. Steer clear of reds and chardonnays. There are likely a few low-oak whites:
-Chenin blanc
-Sauvignon blanc
-Gewurztremainer
-Riesling
-Sauvignon blanc

You could also look for wines which are made using the thousands of years old approach of Amphorae. Amphorae are huge clay pots - shaped somewhat like a vase. Wines are made within these pots and never touch wood. You can find them in wines from California, Spain, Italy, and the country of Georgia.

Latest posts

Back