Wine throws a sediment after stabilizing and sweetening?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Bliorg

Reaction score
Never say never…

Wine threw a sediment in bottle. Just dumped 21 bottles back into a 5.5 gallon BMB. Fining with Dualfine, then letting it settle for at least a couple weeks. Will rack off of that, then filter with #1 and #2 Minijet filters before bottling. Good news is the wine is worth the effort, really nice flavor when dumping bottles. Gotta admit though, I’m ready for this to be DONE.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Your experience proves once again that wine making takes patience. Sometimes there's no certain answer without going to a laboratory and that's not practical for 99% of us home wine makers.

Glad to see you got it bottled up and it's currently clear. Even if it throws sediment in a week, a month, or a year that's just the result of the complex chemical reactions that are part of wine making.

Bliorg

Reaction score
Okay, so today was bottling day, again. After fining with Dual Fine, I let everything sit for two weeks. Wine was really clear. Racked it, conservatively, then filtered through #3 Mini-jet filters. No dripping, no clogging, wine sparkles. Bottled, ended with 18-1/2 bottles. The half is in the fridge for tonight. The rest will get labeled and capsuled tomorrow. My son will be home this weekend coming, so we'll be able to share some, finally.

I'm really happy with the flavor. It seems to have been worth all the effort so far. And learned a ton in the process. All good.

Now fingers crossed that it stays clear this time...

Bliorg

Reaction score
And it's done.

Had the half bottle last night, very pleased. Fermented with K1-V1116 and cool temps, even after all the trouble there's a lovely aroma with this wine. We'll see how long it lasts - there's a bottle in the fridge now.

Thanks, everyone, for your assistance with this one. Appreciate it.

Latest posts