Wine Thief Alternative

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

skyfire322

Reaction score
When I was grabbing my last sample out of the carboy, I used the standard wine thief and found it to be a little awkward/messy when getting it angled just the right way (around the neck portion) without dribbling it around the floor.

At that moment the light bulb went off. What if I got a large (100ml) syringe, cut off small section of tubing, and just fed it through the hole of the bung?

Has anyone tried this or something similar before?

Smok1

Reaction score
When I was grabbing my last sample out of the carboy, I used the standard wine thief and found it to be a little awkward/messy when getting it angled just the right way (around the neck portion) without dribbling it around the floor.

At that moment the light bulb went off. What if I got a large (100ml) syringe, cut off small section of tubing, and just fed it through the hole of the bung?

Has anyone tried this or something similar before?
Im 100% with you on the syringe thing, i hate using wine theifs, there awkward and drip, in fact im not even sure the correct way to use a wine thief, syphon using your mouth? With all the sanitary rules we follow that doesnt work for me, i have a racking system that holds 12 carboys in 2 rows so unless i remove the carboy off the rack (which i dont like doing unless i have too) tipping the carboy is not an option for me. I dont even remove the carboys to rerack, i use a vaccuum pump and vac rack it to an empty carboy on the rack, i also bottle from the rack so i never have to lift the full glass carboys. I use a 60cc syringe, its clean, no drips, pulls a good sample, and there cheap and any pharmacy, under $1 each.
I tryed the 100cc as well but the beauty of the 60cc is the syringe body fits inside the top of the carboy. Two pulls off a 60cc is enough to fill your hydrometer test tube, one pull is enough to fill 2 shot glasses for a taste test, one for you and one for your better half. :)

IMG_3924.jpg

Last edited:

Kraffty

Reaction score
I'm surprised I don't see my cheat here. I use my bottle filler wand, spring loaded, and without touching the tip slide it into the carboy upside down, push the tip for a second and it usually fills all the way up. hold it over your glass and push the tip again and it runs right out.
Mike

Rodnboro

Reaction score
I'm surprised I don't see my cheat here. I use my bottle filler wand, spring loaded, and without touching the tip slide it into the carboy upside down, push the tip for a second and it usually fills all the way up. hold it over your glass and push the tip again and it runs right out.
Mike
I like that idea. Now we understand your forum name.

skyfire322

Reaction score
Mike
I never would have thought of that! Great idea!

Latest posts