Wine testing equipment - help please!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
I have read a few recent posts on the subject. Currently I only have the cheap TA test strips and of course a hydrometer.

I want to add the following:

-PH meter
-So2 meter
-Malolactic Fermentation Tester (chromatography)

Is this overkill? I also don't want to spend too much. I understand the Hana 5 is the PH meter to go with. They get pricey. Where I live (Canada) they cost $140. Any suggestions for must have testers and brands to go with?

Much appreciated!! :h

I have read a few recent posts on the subject. Currently I only have the cheap TA test strips and of course a hydrometer.

-PH meter
-So2 meter

Is this overkill? I also don't want to spend too much. I understand the Hana 5 is the PH meter to go with. They get pricey. Where I live (Canada) they cost $140. Any suggestions for must have testers and brands to go with?

You could also check out the Vinmetrica line, I use one for pH, TA, and SO2, and paper chromo for MLF testing.

-PH meter
-So2 meter

Your list is good. Buy the best pH meter you can find. .01 accuracy is a must. It gets used all the time from harvest to bottling. There are lots of surplus ones on eBay. Just make sure you get a good probe. I have a Corning from an old university lab. New probe and it is wonderful. Auto temperature correction is a plus.

I have an Sc-100 for so2. I love it. I'm sure the new models are great. Malo is easy with a paper chromatography kit. Cheap and heck I only use it once or twice a year.

Oh, buy a good titration setup for TA. With the pH meter it becomes a piece of cake. Again nice buretts on eBay are an option. You can make a stir plate from an old hard drive, and computer fan.

@Siwash

How much quantity of wine do you produce year - If you do not mind me asking ?
This is a big factor on how much money typically you want to invest in a hobby or a business -

@Siwash

How much quantity of wine do you produce year - If you do not mind me asking ?
This is a big factor on how much money typically you want to invest in a hobby or a business -

Anywhere from 20 to 25 lugs per year... roughly 60 gal...

Oh, buy a good titration setup for TA. With the pH meter it becomes a piece of cake. Again nice buretts on eBay are an option. You can make a stir plate from an old hard drive, and computer fan.

i bought the cheap $12 TA kit... is that not accurate?

Your list is good. Buy the best pH meter you can find. .01 accuracy is a must. It gets used all the time from harvest to bottling. There are lots of surplus ones on eBay. Just make sure you get a good probe. I have a Corning from an old university lab. New probe and it is wonderful. Auto temperature correction is a plus.

I have an Sc-100 for so2. I love it. I'm sure the new models are great. Malo is easy with a paper chromatography kit. Cheap and heck I only use it once or twice a year.

As for PH, seems like the consensus is Milwaukee 102

I have the SC300 and love it! Best money I've spent. No more guessing how much S02 is in a batch. I had been adding k meta every 3-4 months before buying the SC300, but my batches weren't using that much. Now I only add when needed.

Holy cow, just checked their website... $450+ and I am in Canada so that's $600++ when I exchange currency... I love my wine but I won't be dropping that kind of cash this year for a wine instrument... i still have to buy my grapes!

I used Accuvin the first year but I found them difficult to see much difference in color and thus not very accurate. I ended up purchasing the $99 Morewine A/O Rig. A/O is pretty much a good as it gets as far as Free SO2 testing. Very accurate it takes a little bit to come up to speed on how to setup and do the analysis. They have great videos that show you exactly how to set up and perform the test. If you can't afford the Vinemetrica this guy is cheaper and more accurate IMHO. The only thing is it uses phosphoric acid which is expensive to ship due to hazard concern (strong acid) If you can find it locally from a hardware store or pool supply store it will save you $$$ in shipping. The rest of the reagents are dirt cheap. The kit will come with enough phosphoric acid to do 4 test IIRC.

I used Accuvin the first year but I found them difficult to see much difference in color and thus not very accurate. I ended up purchasing the $99 Morewine A/O Rig. A/O is pretty much a good as it gets as far as Free SO2 testing. Very accurate it takes a little bit to come up to speed on how to setup and do the analysis. They have great videos that show you exactly how to set up and perform the test. If you can't afford the Vinemetrica this guy is cheaper and more accurate IMHO. The only thing is it uses phosphoric acid which is expensive to ship due to hazard concern (strong acid) If you can find it locally from a hardware store or pool supply store it will save you $$$ in shipping. The rest of the reagents are dirt cheap. The kit will come with enough phosphoric acid to do 4 test IIRC.

Read the 4 reviews on their site. A couple of guys said it's slow. How long does it take to get a result? I am mostly concerned about the first test bc I a co-inoculating. Don't want it to take a whole day..

thanks again

It takes 10 mins per test.

Do you want a fast(er) but meaningless number or an accurate one?

Look at the disclaimer on the Titrets test. " Please keep in mind that due to some chemical interference, this kit is only accurate to within +/- 30ppm when used to test red wines."

What a complete joke that is.

Latest posts

Back