Wine Tasting Outdoors?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else notice differences when tasting wine outdoors vs indoors. Many times I've had a glass of wine that I was enjoying indoors, then stepped out onto the patio and noticed the aromatics become more revealed and very detailed. I'm not sure if the reason for the change is scientific, psychological, or both. Maybe it's just as simple as how the nose functions with a background of indoor air pollutants vs outdoor air pollutants.

Is it just me or does anyone else notice differences when tasting wine outdoors vs indoors. Many times I've had a glass of wine that I was enjoying indoors, then stepped out onto the patio and noticed the aromatics become more revealed and very detailed. I'm not sure if the reason for the change is scientific, psychological, or both. Maybe it's just as simple as how the nose functions with a background of indoor air pollutants vs outdoor air pollutants.

I've noticed similar differences, not necessarily for the better or worse indoors vs outdoors as a rule. Always sort of chalked it up to the same thing, competing aromas either inside or outside.

I prefer to drink my wine outdoors when the weather is nice. I enjoy it more and it seems to taste better. As said, the fresh air seems to enhance the aroma as well.

Maybe our noses become more "alert" out doors and of course even a slight breeze would lift the aromas from the wine and dissipate any off aspects. (Certainly not speaking scientifically here but..)

As long as no 'country kitty, has fouled the air..

skunk_1f9a8.png

Plenty of fresh air/breeze plus warmer temps possibly warming up the wine and releasing the aromatics faster.

Latest posts

Back