Wine tastes bitter from the oak cubes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
Hi guys im ready to rack my wine from clearing and bottle it. Im doing the celler craft showcase carmenere. The wine was not bitter going into the carboy before i cleared but after sitting on the supplied oak cubes for 20 days it has a sharp bitter punch and the fruit flavor is very much muted, will this fade in time while it ages? I also bought oak cubes for a cheaper amarone kit by argentia coast, it was hardly bitter going in fpr clearing in the carboy but now after a week on the oak its tasting bitter aswell. The celler master kit had a decent sized bag of oak supplied so i used the whole bag as the instructions indicate. Im not 100% sure if its the oak making it taste bitter but that seems to be the common denominator here as to why they taste bitter. Other than the bitterness they both taste pretty good for young wine.

tannin from the oak will bring out some bitterness. let wine age about three months in carboy and taste then, if bitterness persists might have to correct. but aging will do wonders.

Fining with protein based clarifier can remove some harsh tannin. Do a bench test to compare first.

Looks like its not as bad as i thought, strangely enough filtering mitigated the issue most likely because it added oxygen and helped aerate the wine. The other issue is i had a bit of sugar free ice cream prior to tasting the wines now that i recall so that definately did not help. Ill try a bottle in a few weeks and see how it is than let most of it age for 6 months or so.

Latest posts

Back