wine tastes a bit like wet dog

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troycifer

Junior
Reaction score
Racked a RJS Italian Viorgnier into a six gallon carboy 8 days ago. Sanitized using Star San. Took a sample yesterday and it was not bad but it had a very faint taste of "wet dog." I read that this may be Brett (Brettanomyces bruxxellensis). I am wondering if this is something I should worry about (I am a newbie). If so, what should I do?
Is it a yeast problem or a chlorine issue? Should i add potassium sorbate or metabisulphite to kill off any undesireable bacteria?
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

did you use Star San in the wine? I would rack again and add K-meta. I do not think you have brett. rack again in three weeks and then in three months wine is young with all kinds of wild tastes, let it sit a bit.

@salcoco thank you! Your reply is helpful!
I did not use Star San in the wine. I used it to sanitize the carboy, winethief, syphon, etc. I allowed everything to dry and then racked the wine from the fermenter into the carboy.

@salcoco
I added K-Meta when I racked initially (4g).
I have an extra packet (4g). When I re-rack as you have recommended, do I add the whole packet of K-Meta?

i would suggest about three months between dosage of k-meta, have some patience try your wine once it is cleared definitely age at least 6 months before bottling

Latest posts

Back