Wine suplies retailers experience

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granrey

Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new on this hobby. Totally enjoying it. Good to have something you can enjoy with your significant other. I've been receiving good advice here.

However, among my other hobbies, this is the one with worst experience with sellers. I'm assuming I'm just having bad luck.

1) Amazon vs local retailers. Unfortunately, my local retailers do not post their prices online. So, I bought some stuff in Amazon and later discovered they are way cheaper with local retailers.

2) Local Retailers. I have met 3 and two of them seem like crooks.

2a) I went to buy a 1 gal carboy but not regular one but the one with the wide mouth that seems good for veggies as well. The retailer did not have a glass one but a plastic cheap copy that you still need to buy like cork cap to put on the lid. He had it with a sictiker for $22.99 CAD. Which I found very high.

I asked him what is the price for your regular glass carboy which he had. He says: $13. At this moment he realizes I'm picking up there is something wrong with his pricing on the plastic one (plus I know this carboy that he wants $13 I bought for $7 with another retailer). He then he goes to his computer and comes back with a new pricing like $15 for the plastic one.

I decided to leave and go somewhere else. He tries to keep me in with some stories. I left anyways.

On his favor, he said his employee put the wrong pricing. While possible, I cannot trust the guy anymore.

b) I go to this second vendor. He does not have the fermenter I want either but he has the regular 1 gal car boy for $7 (the one the other seller wanted me to sell for $13).

I asked this seller how do you degass the wine with a bottle like this, then he sells me a tool you can put on a drill that does the job. I decide to buy it ($30+). So far so good.

Then comes the moment to pay. By mistake,rather than grabbing my Personal credit card I paid with my employer credit card that I use for work items

I asked him to cancel the transaction and I would pay with my personal card. He refuses because credit card company will charge a fee. I asked what is the fee? he says 5%. I said no problem, I'll pay you that 5%. He still refuses.

Notice, I had not even touched the items yet (so he cannot say C19). In other words, I'm entitled to a refund if I don't want to buy them anymore. He tried to make an issue out of it.

Either way, I left with the purchase contacted my boss and let him know I used his credit card by mistake.

I bet this is bad luck plus some mistakes on my end but I have never experienced anything like this before.

Btw, this is in Edmonton, Canada.

I have two local and another two that are close to where a brother lives.
Yes the prices are slightly higher than off the web. My view is I want them to be there at 4pm on Saturday when I want a 5 gram yeast packet so I do make the purchase. Some hardware/ chemicals are at NorthernBrewing that I have not seen before (example small plastic conical fermentor) so I would not know about the product other than buying stuff from the local vendor.
I also buy off the web mainly for unusual stuff as Vinmetrica chemicals or 20 liter EVOH and 10 liter metalized film wine bags.
I confess I am cheap ;( and see that I can buy one 120 mm mouth gallon jar at the grocery store with product in it for less than at the wine toys store so this is what I do for single items. I also have estimated cost of goods enough that i have priced the 120mm jar at about $0.90 if I buy truck load quantities for the factory to put pickles into, ,,, however accounting will get annual contract pricing which is still less. (off topic but I like stretchy silicone bowl covers from Amazon more than the 120 mm lid)
Yes grandpa when he sold gas paid the commission to the credit card company (3%?), and also had cash discounts which a customer could ask for.

Sorry to hear your story.

Sometimes as Rice Guy says it pays to pay a little more for things in local stores. You never know when you might need something at the last minute, and Amazon isn't doing many drone deliveries, yet.
I also understand the sometimes local owners are quite proud of their stuff. But sometimes we just have to be nice and accept it to avoid being like the old story I'm posting below. I know it's old and tired but I still smile when I imagine the looks on the faces of the locals in a story like this. And yes I believe it probably really did happen pretty much as you read it.
(By the way this in no way is meant to slight the OP - just a story that makes me smile on a cold winter day)

1611676547022.png
So the story goes that at a country store the owner was known for his ability to quote an appropriate scripture for every sale as he rang it up on his old manual register. The locals gathered there everyday. Yes, there was an old pot bellied stove with a checker board table nearby. So the locals always paused their games to listen as he rang up a sale.

A little boy came in for some candy and he had one penny. The candy was two cents but the owner took the boy's penny handed him the candy with a smilw and as he rang it up he spoke "Suffer the Little children to come unto me.." He always tried to be uplifting regardless of the customer.

One day a truck with a big shiny horse trailer pulled up in front of the store. The owner got out put on his big Stetson Hat and walked into the store and said: "I need a horse blanket for my horse, getting too cool in that trailer."

The owner just turned and pulled a blanket off the shelf behind him. "$5.00" he announced. The man snorted - "Bah - that's a cheap blanket I'm not putting that on my horse give your best blanket."

The Owner silently turned around and Got on his step stool and reached up to the next shelf, pulled out a blanket, placed it on the counter and announced "$25.00"

Again the man Snorted and said a little louder - "I guess you don't understand - That's a champion horse in that trailer and nothing but the best goes on his back."

Once again the store owner silently turned put that blanket back on the shelf and reached up to the next shelf. As he placed that blanket before the man in the Stetson he said "That will be $50.00"

One more time the man in the Stetson snorted and announced "Come on I want the best you got, is that all you have?" As he made his comment he turned smirking to face the other observers in the store - "Can you believe this?"

As Mr Stetson spoke to the observers the shop owner turned and took that first blanket off the shelf behind him again. As he laid it on the counter he announced "That'll be $200.00 please."

The man in the Stetson turned back to the counter and finally smiled and said - "That's more like it" Opened his wallet and plunked down two $100.00 bills. As she strode out of the store all the Locals watched the owner as he rang up that sale.
The owner smiled himself now as he firmly rang up the sale. "He was a stranger and I took him in"

Last edited:
@Granrey, sorry to hear about your poor experiences. Hopefully the 3rd one will work out.

I have 2 local retailers -- one is good as gold, the other insulted me 2 years ago and I haven't been back.

I buy locally as much as possible, so my good retailer will still be there next time I need him. I buy online when it's a specialty item he can't easily get (like an enzyme) or the price break for buying online is large enough that I have to think of my own wallet first.

Shipping weight is a problem when buying online. Light things are not often a problem, although the S&H when buying directly from a manufacturer is typically high. I found kits are expensive due to weight, and since my local shop will order anything I want (assuming it's available) to I buy kits locally.

I have 2 retailers near me but their main focus is beer and their knowledge on beer is fine but limited with wine. So needless to say it a rare occasion I go there. Morewine is my go to, good prices, selection and customer service. As far as carboys and other equipment it Craigslist and Marketplace.

Yeah our local supplier is really into Hydrponics and home growing of "Exotic" plants. Their supply prices are decent but certainly nothing to be upset about or get excited over. Last time I walked in the door there were so many signs on their door that I didn't see their mask required sign. (Our state had not set a requirement for masks everywhere - yet. Since the person there shouted at me (Yeah Shouted) to put on a mask, I looked around didn't see what I needed and left. Haven't been back and may not go back. Having tact matters too. Since I try to plan ahead there isn't much I will need a hurry so I guess they are off my radar screen for the time being.

@Granrey, sorry to hear about your poor experiences. Hopefully the 3rd one will work out.

I have 2 local retailers -- one is good as gold, the other insulted me 2 years ago and I haven't been back.

I buy locally as much as possible, so my good retailer will still be there next time I need him. I buy online when it's a specialty item he can't easily get (like an enzyme) or the price break for buying online is large enough that I have to think of my own wallet first.

Shipping weight is a problem when buying online. Light things are not often a problem, although the S&H when buying directly from a manufacturer is typically high. I found kits are expensive due to weight, and since my local shop will order anything I want (assuming it's available) to I buy kits locally.
One of them is very good. The thing is I should had kept going with him but I decided to visit other two as Im new and you dont know best or good unless you try it out.

However, not going to the other two anymote

Hi Guys,

I'm new on this hobby. Totally enjoying it. Good to have something you can enjoy with your significant other. I've been receiving good advice here.

However, among my other hobbies, this is the one with worst experience with sellers. I'm assuming I'm just having bad luck.

1) Amazon vs local retailers. Unfortunately, my local retailers do not post their prices online. So, I bought some stuff in Amazon and later discovered they are way cheaper with local retailers.

hi Granrey. I live in Calgary and we have a great wine store at the north end of town. If you dont mind the drive you could check them out. The Wine Warehouse. They are just off the deerfoot by the airport. They have a good website with all prices posted. I am not sure if they ship but they have sales every month, this month for example they have 20% off all RJS wines. They also have a bulk discount of 20% if you buy 4 or more kits so you could do a trip and pick up what you want to make in one trip. They have a good selection including Vineco, winexpert and RJS with all their different qualities as well as limited edition, fruit wines, and dessert wines as well as beers. They also have a good selection of equipment. Website is thewinewarehouse.ca. I dont know if they ship but I think an in store visit is best anyways. The owners are nice and very informative and knowledgable about all their wines.

My LHBS is run by a lady who is nice until you start asking questions. Luckily I have this forum. I buy most of my stuff on Amazon (unfortunately) and a really amazing place that is relatively near but charges what I think are high shipping prices and have no walk up retail. I buy the odd thing with gritted teeth at the LHBS. In fairness retailers are being hammered by covid after 10 years of being hammered by Amazon.

hi Granrey. I live in Calgary and we have a great wine store at the north end of town. If you dont mind the drive you could check them out. The Wine Warehouse. They are just off the deerfoot by the airport. They have a good website with all prices posted. I am not sure if they ship but they have sales every month, this month for example they have 20% off all RJS wines. They also have a bulk discount of 20% if you buy 4 or more kits so you could do a trip and pick up what you want to make in one trip. They have a good selection including Vineco, winexpert and RJS with all their different qualities as well as limited edition, fruit wines, and dessert wines as well as beers. They also have a good selection of equipment. Website is thewinewarehouse.ca. I dont know if they ship but I think an in store visit is best anyways. The owners are nice and very informative and knowledgable about all their wines.
Definitely a big thanks.

They have very good prices. Some stuff produces 23 L for $60. Which is not bad price.

This definitely helps in estimating budget and selecting where to buy.

Definitely a big thanks.

They have very good prices. Some stuff produces 23 L for $60. Which is not bad price.

This definitely helps in estimating budget and selecting where to buy.

You are welcome. My daughter and I were so excited when we found this place. Definitely better selection and prices than any other stores we have visited. The cheaper wines are ok for drinking sooner but I would also recommend trying a kit or so of the better quality kits. They usually need to age longer than the lower priced kits but the taste is superior. With the sale the higher end kits are only$145 which is still under $5 a bottle.

You are welcome. My daughter and I were so excited when we found this place. Definitely better selection and prices than any other stores we have visited. The cheaper wines are ok for drinking sooner but I would also recommend trying a kit or so of the better quality kits. They usually need to age longer than the lower priced kits but the taste is superior. With the sale the higher end kits are only$145 which is still under $5 a bottle.
Do you know if you can do partials with the kits after you open them? I can't do more than 6L at any given time.

Do you know if you can do partials with the kits after you open them? I can't do more than 6L at any given time.

the kits are all 23 L except the dessert and fruit wines. You either need one of the conical carboys or two regular carboys

the kits are all 23 L except the dessert and fruit wines. You either need one of the conical carboys or two regular carboys
Winexpert makes 1 gallon kits. They are a bit pricey ($30 USD) for what you get, but for folks who either don't have space or don't drink much wine, it works.

RJ Spagnols does not appear to produce smaller kits, and I'm not familiar with other vendors.

Winexpert makes 1 gallon kits. They are a bit pricey ($30 USD) for what you get, but for folks who either don't have space or don't drink much wine, it works.

RJ Spagnols does not appear to produce smaller kits, and I'm not familiar with other vendors.

I have not seen any small kits in my area. They may not be available in Canada? No idea.

Winexpert is based in Ontario, so I expect 1 gallon kits are available in Canada. It may be that they're not great sellers so your LHBS doesn't stock them. If it's of interest to you, you can ask them. I don't pay much attention to it, but I seem to recall my local shop stocks 2 or 3, while they have thirty 23 liter kits in stock.

Not only I cant prepare much but I don't see the need to drink the same wine for long time if I do a big batch.

At this stage, I'm still trying different fruits to see what I like to keep doing.

It's weird as there are so many types of grapes and such. Now, imagine if you decide to try another fruit like Mango. I bought different varieties of Mango juice to try and I still have other fruits that I'm trying out like sourso, passion fruit, etc.

@Granrey, the small batches are great for experimentation, especially as there are sooo many choices. Wine can be made from most fruits and some vegetables. And if a batch does not work out, there's only a few bottles to drink or toss.

On the flip side, when a batch works out well ... there's only a few bottles ...

It's great having a hobby where everyone can do their own thing.

Winexpert is based in Ontario, so I expect 1 gallon kits are available in Canada. It may be that they're not great sellers so your LHBS doesn't stock them. If it's of interest to you, you can ask them. I don't pay much attention to it, but I seem to recall my local shop stocks 2 or 3, while they have thirty 23 liter kits in stock.

I agree its such a varied hobby everyone can do what they like. Personally I have not looked for small kits but have not noticed any as I would not be interested. I am fortunate that when I want to try something new I can split with my daughter. I know not everyone else can.

Latest posts

Back