Wine room lessons learned

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2tazmania

Reaction score
Well. I finally talked my ole' lady into letting me turn our spare room into my wine making area. I have read several of your posts where you have created your own areas. I am looking for what you like about what you did and what you would have done differently. I'm in no hurry to start this process. So, I would value your input on my design.

Thanks
Taz

Since you said "winemaking room" the number one, most important item I would put in if at all possible would be a laundry sink. You are constantly at the sink getting water and cleaning and it is very inconvenient if you don't have one near by.

Get a sink!! The trips from the laundry room to the workshop are getting old. If I was designing from scratch, I would get a sink and second wish would be a floor drain or a floor sink with a pump to pump the waste out. Other than that, low benches to park caboys and fermenters on.

The sink would be awesome for one, another is dont get a cheapo linoluem floor! Mine is tore to shreds!!!!

Taz, since you live in Alabama, I am guessing the house is built on a slab or crawl space, not a basement. I lucked out having a cellar with a sump pump and laundry sink installed. I made my area in that corner of the celler and it really works well. I highly recommend the sink as pointed out by many and a drain in the floor if possible. I would also have a floor that is easy to clean (mop up) in case of spills. It is not really an "in case," there will be spills. If you can control the temperature in that room it would be a real plus.

Rocky is dead right, there will be spills or just degassing overflows.

My house is on a crawl space so installing a sink with hot and cold water would be easy.

We pretty much keep our house at a constant temp. Doesn't fluctuate outside of 68-70 degrees very often. The room is ~12'x13'. It has a small closet ~4'x9'. I thought about turning the small closet into the wine storage. I can close it off from light and it is a little cooler than the outside room.

I also thought about putting in a small upright freezer to store fruit in until I am ready.

At 68*-70* I wouldn't worry about your temp for anything. My basement is 65-68* and I have no problem fermenting or clearing. Yes, 75* is ideal and if you need a higher temp for fermenting use brew belts. I keep 5 of them around.
I just bought a new 15 cubic chest freezer. Yes its great for fruit but it's even better for cold stabilizing 4 or more carbos at a time. If you're going to get one anyways this is something you'll really want to research before doing so.

Estimate the amount of sturdy horizontal surface you'll need, then double it.

When you start building out your room, install twice as much horizontal surface as you estimated above.

If you do this up front, you'll end up with half as much space as you'll need to have a place for everything.

:slp

Hot/Cold running water, Electrical outlets, Incandescent lighting, I wish my sink was a double.

Consider space for your empty bottle collection - both before and after cleaning.

Cabinets/shelves for a million doodads, hoses, chemicals, additives

Space for your corkidor

If you're planning fruit wines from fruit you gather, you'll need a 2,342CF freezer and an endless supply of ziploc bags

A kitchen scale for weighing fruit/grapes and sugar additions

A gram scale

((JHC!! How much have I spent on this hobby?!!!))

Latest posts

Back