Wine recipes for Concord and Fredonia grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grstie

Junior
Reaction score
I have access to 30-40 lbs of Concord or Fredonia each fall. I'm looking for good wine recipes to use them in. I have a recipe that is dry. I used the same recipe a second time, but with the addition of oak, and sweetened. I'm looking for something different this next year. Any recipes would be appreciated.

Black Cherry

I typically add Black Cherry juice - @ around 15% to my Concord (I added Montmorency Tart last year instead) I normally finish this dry.

I'm interested. Does the cherry jump to the front pf the flavor profile, or at 15% is it still kind of subtle?

Sounds like a lot of work for that amount of grapes. Can you get anymore as it'll be the same amount of work for for bigger rewards. I enjoy blending Niagara with Concord and Catawba with Fredonia. I enjoy both of these varieties sweetened rather than dry.

Sounds like a lot of work for that amount of grapes. Can you get anymore as it'll be the same amount of work for for bigger rewards.

Agree with Dan. When I buy Concords from the vineyard, they figure 12 pounds per gallon. Last year, 144 pounds gave me 13 gallons of juice.:dg

Subtle

I'm interested. Does the cherry jump to the front pf the flavor profile, or at 15% is it still kind of subtle?

If you keep the cherry 10-15% it just makes the concord more complex. Concord by itself does not make a good dry wine IMO, but add the cherry and it is OK. I have done 2 years with the black cherry add and have been pleased - 2011 was the first year I used the tart cherry juice, so it is now at the 1 year mark and I am getting ready to bottle (have not tasted recently) the 2009 batch turned out really well (I also oaked) 2010 I did not oak & was not as pleased with it.

I like to blend my concord with baco noir. It makes a really nice red table wine.

I like to blend my concord with baco noir. It makes a really nice red table wine.

I have some Baco & Foch vines started, but they are a couple of years away from producing enough to make much wine yet, what little I got this year got thrown in with the Concord - my grape crop was not good this year, so everything was frozen with hopes to add to this years crop, that I hope gets some Baco & Foch to blend with. I have not had good luck with getting Chardonnel to grow & am now trying Traminette for white.

I live in northern Indiana close to southwest Michigan. Are there vineyards near me that would sell some of these other grapes?

grstie said:
I live in northern Indiana close to southwest Michigan. Are there vineyards near me that would sell some of these other grapes?

Check out Corey Lake Orchard. They have a great u-pick on Concord and Niagara.

Hi,
Greetings from Poland.
I have here a few vines that I suspect are FREDONIA. The juice has rather low Bx, up to 15° and high TA, 11-13 g/L (1.1-1.3%). What are the typical Bx and TA of this American variety in the country of origin?
Thanks, Piotr

Last edited:
Piotr said:
Hi,
Greetings from Poland.
I have here a few vines that I suspect are FREDONIA. The juice has rather low Bx, up to 15° and high TA, 11-13 g/L (1.1-1.3%). What are the typical Bx and TA of this American variety in the country of origin?
Thanks, Piotr

Brix and TA are similar to the comparable American climate and variety. It's probably why it is traditionally a sweet wine, due to the high acid.

Brix and TA are similar to the comparable American climate and variety. It's probably why it is traditionally a sweet wine, due to the high acid.

Thank you very much. It's what I suspected but having found a description of FREDONIA that states it's a low-acid variety, I wasn't sure.

I guess, information from a very reputable German database www.vivc.de that this variety has female flowers is another mistake - my vines get pollinated without any help from other varieties.

Back