Wine Rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20120118172422807.jpg

Sanded and painted this one. Holds 50 standard bottles, and 8 of the larger 1.5L bottles on top shelf.

Last edited:
I made a 120 bottle rack,when installed and bottles placed was full so had to make another.
I’ll get photo up. You cut uprights, cut 20x20 mm batons, bottle long and screw these to the uprights on both sides. Make 12. The last 2 only have batons screwed on inside,then arrange uprights,bottle width apart and truss them, voila!

I went fairly cheap, using 1x10 lumber and a Kreg jig + Kreg screws. Seems to be sturdy as a rock - after several months no bowing or other signs of stress. Of course each shelf has 4 screws at each end to share the load, so there's plenty of sheer strength at each junction.

If you use harlequin diamonds, you will increase your storage efficiency by ~15%.

Do you have any links to plans for this technique? I googled it but wasn't able to find anything. Interested in doing the diamonds if it isn't too hard to implement with the wood. Likely have to borrow a miter saw.

Do you have any links to plans for this technique? I googled it but wasn't able to find anything. Interested in doing the diamonds if it isn't too hard to implement with the wood. Likely have to borrow a miter saw.

I described it fairly well here: Finally built my wine rack . Do feel free to ask me if you have a specific question.

I have a miter saw, but I only had to use a circular saw angled at 30˚.

If you ever lose this link, you can always find it by googling "site: winemakingtalk.com sour_grapes harlequin"

Last edited:
I described it fairly well here: Finally built my wine rack . Do feel free to ask me if you have a specific question.

I have a miter saw, but I only had to use a circular saw angled at 30˚.

If you ever lose this link, you can always find it by googling "site: winemakingtalk.com sour_grapes harlequin"
Thanks! I'll take a look at that thread. Started drawing something up in sketchup and I have to say the diamonds do seem pretty complex. I'm wondering. Will this layout still have the added efficiency when using 1.5 l bottles as well? I might be tempted to just do a 45 deg X layout if the efficiency isn't that much better, as I actually like the look of 45 deg dividers better for some reason.

Well, that is a tough question. For a large number of bottles per bin, the efficiency does not depend on the size of the bottles. However, as you get fewer bottles in each bin, the "edge effects" dominate. I think it could even vary between the two packing arrangements. You can get an idea of the complexity by looking at the figures in this page in Wikipedia: Circle packing in a square - Wikipedia

And here is some good general information on the subject: Circle packing - Wikipedia

Latest posts

Back