Wine rack photos/dimensions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobF

Reaction score
I completed a couple of 54 bottle racks a few days ago. They are based on Wade's racks, modified to be built with common 1" X 2" (3/4" x 1-1/2" actual) lumber available at Lowes, Home Depot ...

All horizontal strips are 31" long
Verticals are 34-3/4" long.
Short pieces attaching front/back are 7-3/4"

Spacing from the bottom of a horizontal to the bottom of the next above is 6-1/2". This gives 6 levels with an additional 3/4" at the top.

I used a bench mounted belt sander to scallop the rear horizontals. I first marked the center, then 4 additional marks each side of center spaced 3-1/16". I free-handed this step and will likely use a router for more precise work next time. The radius isn't an exact match, but the bottles don't roll around.

The screws showing in front could easily be counter-sunk and puttied for staining.

Of the types available at Lowe's, I chose poplar. At a shave under $4 ea for eight 6' long pieces, the cost runs ~$32 per rack plus tax and screws.

Pine was cheaper, but straight pine was non-existent. Red oak was $5.60-ish each which still isn't bad considering ...

Using oak and a router here and there you should be able to make something nice enough for display.

I built these to store wine in the unfinished part of the basement :)

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

Looking great. Are they stackable? You're going to run out of room if you're as obsessed as Wade ;)

I would suggest to fasten the rack to a wall (juct in case).
Looking good..

Very nice job. I would keep building though as this is an obsession. I agree with Tom, I would absolutely fasten to the wall. Thanks for sharing! :try

I would suggest to fasten the rack to a wall (juct in case).
Looking good..

I secure them to the wall with 1 x 2 scrap blocks. They fit perfectly between rear horizontals and the wall.

Looking great. Are they stackable? You're going to run out of room if you're as obsessed as Wade ;)

No, not directly stackable. It would be easy enough to dowel some top/bottom I guess.

I have room for eight of these under shelves before I have to worry about stacking, so I have a while to come up with a plan :)

Bob, like I said before you did a great job. Just an idea, before I considered stacking the racks I would consider just getting longer 1X2's and make the size you want in the future. I am not sure how you sanded those grooves for the bottles but it worked out pretty good by the looks of it. Would it be possible to clamp two of the rails together and use a hole saw to make the grooves? I am always interested in seeing other wine racks/rooms of the members on here.

He used the front egde of the belt sander for making those grooves, next best thing to a spindle sander! Nice job, Another thing you could do instead of puttying the screw holes is to get button head wood plugs in that species of wood or even better something different like a darker or lighter wood that will make it stand out better, I screwed mine from behind on both sides of the rack so there are no screws in the face. I would use decking screws and not sheetrock screws to build these racks as sheetrock screws dont have much tensile strength!

Picture 3.jpg

Looks good. I was looking for plans for a "wine cube" to build for our dining room.

Go to this site http://www.wineracksamerica.com and click on the wine rack you want. When you get there click on assembly instructions. They not only give you assembly instructions but they give you all of the demensions of the wood. I built the smaller cubes from this site and made a stackable modular unit. Each one holds two cases of wine. It really helps if you have a dado blade wine making cube racks. Below is a picture of the one I made. Incidently this is an old picture and the racks are full now...LOL

moreracks.jpg

Here's what I did when I made the cellar in the garage. I used cheap 1x2 to make the double-deep single bottle racks. The bulk storage is made from 3/4" plywood, which was probably overkill.

CIMG0137Large.jpg

It's not properly finished and/or pretty... but it does what we need for now. Maybe in the future I'll put something together from better materials. LOL

Would it be possible to clamp two of the rails together and use a hole saw to make the grooves?

I think the proper diameter hole saw would span all the way across two 1x2's.

For the next units I won't be so lazy. I'll get the router out ans set it up to do a proper job.

My goal this time was to be able to build with minimal equipment. A chop saw, belt sander and a cordless drill was all I used.

I figure storage for a cost of roughly 58 cents a bottle is pretty good :)

Just an idea, before I considered stacking the racks I would consider just getting longer 1X2's and make the size you want in the future.

The problem I have is finding 1 x 2 lumber straight enough. I used 6' lengths for this. If I needed something straight for longer than 34" I would have been out of luck.

The problem I have is finding 1 x 2 lumber straight enough. I used 6' lengths for this. If I needed something straight for longer than 34" I would have been out of luck.

Pretty much what I was up against except that anything longer then what I had to work with would have cost me money as all the wood I used was scraps from work for free. longer stuff goes back into inventory.

I bought a bunch of the cheapest 1x2x8's I could find. I think they were under $2/piece. If they were bowed, the wood glue and nails from the nail gun straightened them out as I assembled.

Admittedly, they aren't as nice looking up close as the material you got, but they got the job done. When I add more racking to the room, I'll probably cough up the extra dough for the better looking stuff and maybe stain it or something. My attempt was to just get something up quickly so we could use the cellar. LOL

That makes sense. You definitely get better lumber that way. That's why your racks look so good and are likely continue to do so when mine are falling apart. :)

Latest posts

Back