Wine Quiz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
OK here is a QUIZ

Wine Quiz Question
How many AVA are there in the United States?

A. 76
B. 322
C. 198
D. 168

If your talking about the "Academy of Vocal Arts" I will have to check with Troy.

If your talking about "American Viticultural Areas" counting them up from coast to coast and border to border I come up with 198.

Answer will be posted tomorrow.
Any OTHER guesses?

If your talking about the "Academy of Vocal Arts" I will have to check with Troy.

If your talking about "American Viticultural Areas" counting them up from coast to coast and border to border I come up with 198.
Did you use both your fingers and TOES?

OK so we ONLY have 2 winemakers that can answer this ?

OOPS!!!! I guess I type faster than I can think. The answer is 198 so I guess my final answer is C 198. I wished I was sampling a little wine when I answered but that was just before I went to work. That's okay though I'm going home here shortly so I'll have to start sampling right away.

What's an AVA? If it's American Vitacultural Area, what's that?

Ok here's the answer

Wine Quiz Question

How many AVA are there in the United States?

A. 76
B. 322
C. 198
D. 168

Wine Quiz Answer: C. 198

According to the TTB as of 1/7/10 there we 198 official AVAs.

Congrats to those who got it right ! :try

What's an AVA? If it's American Vitacultural Area, what's that?

Ok, I looked it up and it is kinda what I thought. Since it comes under the umbrella of the TTB, are there some kind of regulatory controls in these areas that would, say, supercede state laws? Or is it a designation to let someone know what kind of grapes might be expected to grow in that area?
I see we have only 7 VA's in Canada, in southern BC and Ontario.
I'd not heard or seen the designation before so just curious.

Ok, I looked it up and it is kinda what I thought. Since it comes under the umbrella of the TTB, are there some kind of regulatory controls in these areas that would, say, supercede state laws? Or is it a designation to let someone know what kind of grapes might be expected to grow in that area?
I see we have only 7 VA's in Canada, in southern BC and Ontario.
I'd not heard or seen the designation before so just curious.

Any kind of grapes .
Here is more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Viticultural_Area

Thanks, Tom, I think I get it now - if a wine is produced and is labeled as being from a certain AVA, then minimum 85% of the grapes used in that wine must come from that AVA, so it's a way to advertise and market but with some controls.

Latest posts

Back