Wine pump vs siphon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riazoo

Junior
Reaction score
There are several pumps on eBay made for wine and I was looking at some cheaper option vs the manual system.
I saw these 5 gallon bottled water pumps for about $50
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162754976413
Just wondering if there is a downside to using these - or is it a no no vis a vis causing oxygenation

Any part that the wine is going to touch/pass through will have to be readily cleaned./sanitized. I don't think that pump is going to be an easy-clean solution. I don't own nor do I have any interest in the All-in-One pump but I believe if you are looking for something beyond the manual siphon method, you should give it a look.

Last edited:
Oxygen likely not an issue. But it's built for water not wine. The plastics might not be equipped to handle the acids and alcohol in wine as I learned when purchasing a new fermenter. Might be able to modify with proper materials if needed.
Also might be a great way to remove sink water for basement sinks with no drains from another thread.
I like the idea and think it's worth looking into.

Riazoo...if you are always moving from higher to lower, it is tough to beat the auto siphon at about 10 bucks.
If you want to go from low to high....count me as a second vote for the AIO pump. Remember...it is a Swiss Army knife tool...pump, filter, rack, bottle, degass, elemenate head space...4 times more money, ten times better, worth every penny.

I just ordered the new Anvil Brewing Pump from LabelPeelers for $60. It's being hyped as a brew pump, but it can be used for wine, water and other beverages. The output is 3 gal/min ( 1/2" hose connections) but it can be throttled down. It's A/C and the impeller section is easy to dismantle for cleaning and sanitizing. I'm sick of lifting 5 gallon carboys and dealing with the syphon method. Has anyone used one of these? It's made by Anvil, which is a division of Blichmann, so I assume it's decent quality. The only issue I see is that it's not self-priming.

The AIO is the ONLY way to go. If your gonna make wine and do it most efficient way to go. Spend a little money if you are serious about wine making.....................................................................................................................

The AIO is the ONLY way to go. If your gonna make wine and do it most efficient way to go. Spend a little money if you are serious about wine making.....................................................................................................................

I hate to agree with anyone from Auburn!

I just ordered the new Anvil Brewing Pump from LabelPeelers for $60. It's being hyped as a brew pump, but it can be used for wine, water and other beverages. The output is 3 gal/min ( 1/2" hose connections) but it can be throttled down. It's A/C and the impeller section is easy to dismantle for cleaning and sanitizing. I'm sick of lifting 5 gallon carboys and dealing with the syphon method. Has anyone used one of these? It's made by Anvil, which is a division of Blichmann, so I assume it's decent quality. The only issue I see is that it's not self-priming.

UPDATE: Got the pump and tried it out with plain water. I found it a bear to prime and never did get it to work. Decided to give up on it and will be returning it.

I was going to recommend that but didn't want to be negative. If you can spend the extra money to get the AIO.
I'm sure the AIO works great. But all I use are PET carboys and fermenters and the AIO needs a glass carboy to get the vacuum going. I really don't want to start dealing with glass carboys.:slp

I'm sure the AIO works great. But all I use are PET carboys and fermenters and the AIO needs a glass carboy to get the vacuum going. I really don't want to start dealing with glass carboys.:slp

That is not correct. Check with @vacuumpumpman , he has a system mod that allows you to rack even with non-glass carboys.

That is not correct. Check with @vacuumpumpman , he has a system mod that allows you to rack even with non-glass carboys.

Thanks Johnd - Yes we have came up with an adapter to transfer into a PET carboys - see this link as it will show a video on how to use it with the allinonewinepump -
https://www.allinonewinepump.com/product/plastic-pet-carboy-transfer-kit/

I still use my auto siphon so please excuse my ignorance. But can you also transfer from a PET carboy

Yes you can transfer between PET carboys using the allinonewinepump using the PET adapter, check out the link in the above post

here is a youtube video -

Last edited:
Yes you can transfer between PET carboys using the allinonewinepump using the PET adapter, check out the link in the above post

here is a youtube video -

Assuming this works to transfer from the big mouth bubbler to a glass carboy?

Latest posts

Back