• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wine Press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a wine press ? What do I look for so I don't buy a piece of junk? How much should I have to pay for a pretty good one, not commercial or anything on a big scale, just for homemade wine? I've seen them on the internet from cheap to very expensive. I would like one about in the middle or a little less in cost, or which is the best of the cheap ones. I have been told that with a press I should get about 20% more juice. Anybody got any thoughts? Thanks
Semper Fi

joea132

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a wine press ? What do I look for so I don't buy a piece of junk? How much should I have to pay for a pretty good one, not commercial or anything on a big scale, just for homemade wine? I've seen them on the internet from cheap to very expensive. I would like one about in the middle or a little less in cost, or which is the best of the cheap ones. I have been told that with a press I should get about 20% more juice. Anybody got any thoughts? Thanks
Semper Fi
If you ever think you'll do any larger, buy larger. And always press twice after breaking up the pomace. I've got a #40 that I bought new and sometimes it's a little small for me with a group. I'm happy but I've been considering a bladder press because of my volume.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
if you can afford it a bladder press is best. it can do double duty in pressing fruit for juice and wine making. About a 40 liter press is best.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Checked the prices of a bladder press, not a option for me. What are some of the things I should look for in a press. Saw one for about $160, that's about the price range I'm looking for, but it didn't give a manufacture or where it was made and that concerns me. Thanks for any advice
Semper Fi

JohnT

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Checked the prices of a bladder press, not a option for me. What are some of the things I should look for in a press. Saw one for about $160, that's about the price range I'm looking for, but it didn't give a manufacture or where it was made and that concerns me. Thanks for any advice
Semper Fi
Is it possilbe to post a picture of what you are going to buy?

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
That 5 gallon press from Homebrew heaven seems nice - especially for the $175 they are asking. Even with the $40 shipping to my house, it's just over $200. Anyone know if they are any good? I'd be doing "light duty" - 2-3, 6 gallon batches twice a year.

I like the one from Cabellas as well, but the ratings were not too kind on the ratchet assembly. $5 shipping being offered there now though.

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
I have the one from Cabella's. It does the job. One downside is it seems to take two people. One to provide a counter force to the turning off the crank. Oh and you will want a few more blocks for it, but those are easy to cut. I used 2X4's.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Saw some on utube, started building one today. Hope it works
Semper Fi

BlueStimulator

Reaction score
I started building one and have only limited wood/wine making skills. White oak and stainless steel are hard materials. Hopefully it will last. Good luck on your hunt