Wine press / crusher

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rita36

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it would be a good investment to buy a wine press or crusher?

If you make quite a bit of wine from grapes, you'll never be sorry that you bought a crusher and press. It's important to get the skins fractured on grapes and the best way to do it is a crusher. PLUS, you get a lot more initial juice from the grapes by crushing.

A press not only allows you to captured more wine, but it also extracts a lot of color which is great for reds. A press also allows you to use the juice only for whites where you don't choose to ferment on the skins. I think these 2 pieces of equipment will up your game, and give you more stylistic choices for your wines.

A crusher and a press are 2 different pieces of equipment. The rollers on the crusher are set far enough apart so that it doesn't even touch the seeds. The seeds stay whole. And you can crush other fruits with it too. We use a crusher on strawberries when using fresh strawberries if we don't have enough freezer space to freeze them beforehand. Freezing eliminates the need to crush, because they get nicely macerated thru freezing them.

A press is for pressing the cap of fruit and its skins to extract color and juice. We bag nearly everything we ferment--and when the fruit or grapes are bagged, it makes using a basket press much easier. If you decide on a press, you have to think about either a basket press or a bladder press. You have to replace the bladders from time to time. A basket press never needs anything BUT the fruit will squish out from between the slats unless you bag the fruit or use a screen inside it to hold the fruit in. AND, as I said before, a press allows you to press the fruit before fermenting to use only the juice, if you so desire. Both of these pieces can often be bought used thru online sources so that you don't need to spend $400 for each of them in new condition. You can also buy crusher/destemmers----and also manual operation or motorized.

Just to add to what Turock said,

I have found that if you apply low pressure and very slowly increase it, you do not have any issue with fruit squeezing out between the slats. I have never needed to use either a bag or screen.

The other thing to decide on is what you plan on making (amount). Presses can be pricey so I advise to purchase one that will handle your needs going forward. I had made the mistake (when I first started out) of getting a press that was too small to handle my load. I ended up giving the press away for WAY less than what I paid, and purchasing a new one of the correct size.

The same goes for destemmers. I highly recommend that (if you are making the purchase) get one that is motor driven, and also removes the stems as well (yup, not all crushers remove the stems).

i think the press is too much of a cost for me right now and the crusher is more of what I want. I wish I could afford both. I currently crush my muscadines by hand and the acid gives me a bad reaction so I have to wear gloves. Which is a pain in the behind.

For making fruit and grape wines these 2 pieces of equipment will aid in the production a lot.

But I understand that cost has a lot to do with it. Some are very pricey - i got my crusher from craigslist and my press from amazon when they had it selling for $90.

Check craigslist - around here they always have those for sale..

Yeah, if you can only afford one of them, the crusher is the best to add first.

If you do buy a press, get a #40,at least. It will handle large amounts AND small amounts---all you have to do is add more oak blocks for small batches.

We must press too fast--sometimes the fruit even wants to squeeze thru the slat when it's in the bag and we have to be careful. I hate the pressing process and try to get done as soon as I can.

Turock,

You need to make pressing more fun! I always have a number of people. We sit in a circle, sipping wine, munching on finger food, trading laughs, and taking turns swapping/emptying buckets.

I am a true believer in the benefits of doing soft pressing. I have found that a hard press will make the wine rather bitter/overly tannic.

Still on the fence about the presser.
I thought I was squeezing the pulp bag too much and getting to much sediment . Maybe that's just part of it.
I am excited about the crusher though, now maybe My hands will not itch and burn all night long.

Latest posts

Back