Wine Preserver

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
<DIV id=post_message_123782>If I use the Oenophilia Wine Preserver (a mixture of argon, CO2, and nitrogen) to top off carboys that are bulk aging, will it have a negative effect on the natural degassing that is taking place? i.e. will it prevent it from occuring?

Flem, never heard of this stuff until your post. Looks interesting. I would imagine it is a heavier than air mixture that just lays on top of the wine to prevent oxygen from getting to the wine. It appears that this stuff is to preserve wine left in a bottle but I see no way this cannot be extended to a carboy.I would have the carboy topped off to reduce the exposed area. How this would affect degassing, I have no idea but I bet Mike (ibglowin) could tell you.For those interested, here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Oenophilia-Private-Preserve-Wine-Preserver/dp/B0000DCS18

Last edited by a moderator:
<DIV id=post_message_123787>I don't see any problem. I would rather top off w like wine. I don't trust gas. How can you be sure you did enough?

"Full can feels empty" while it could displace O2 you will still be at atmospheric pressure so it should have no effect on degassing. That 2 inchs of head is 79% nitrogen already. If it feels good do it but I dont believe you will ever notice a difference.

As long as you have the carboy under an airlock, degassing will proceed normally. If you put in a solid stopper the wine will not naturally degas.

Thanks for the replies folks. I always top off my carboys with a similar wine. I bought some of this preserver to protect an open bottle of wine (I know, just drink it all). But then I thought,hmmm, why not just give the carboy a little blast for extra protection (still with an airlock). I just didn't know if the inert gasses were too heavy to let the CO2 escape through it. It sounds like I should be okay.

Latest posts

Back