Wine on tap?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavino

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all. I would really like to have mini oak barrels in my basement that I could tap and get a glass of wine from (sort of like a mini keg) without it spoiling or even better, while continuing to age. My guess is it would be no different from just opening a bottle in terms of a limited shelf life, but has anyone tried this, have suggestions, or know of any products?

I don't think you can do it in oak, but for sure, you can do it in Intellitanks + nitrogen or Argon as an inert gas. You could also easily do it in beer kegs + inert gas. Your challenge is going to be keeping the remainder in the keg away from Oxygen. You could also build a topper keg system, and refill your barrel after you get your taste.

Here’s a thought. You get whatever size oak barrels you want plugged with wooden spigots. Use at your leisure. And also utilize a little 2 gal cannonball keg system which gives wine on tap and protected with nitrogen. (I have one but yet to use it)

Could use the keg simply to continue topping the barrels and protect the wine while the keg wine stays protected under the nitrogen. Rather than constantly scrambling for wine for topping IMG_7460.JPGIMG_7459.JPG

Thanks for the responses. I’ll take a look into building a system possibly using the concept of that mini keg. Or just drink fast!

im planning to do this with a 3L oak barrel, and topping it up after each drinking session to keep the air out.
im expecting it to go bad, but will be a fun experiment.
i will report back if it doesnt kill me.

Latest posts

Back