wine not liked

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry

Reaction score
I have noticed that most have 6 gal. equipment.I was just wondering what do u do if you make that much wine and you dont like it after wheather its to tart,to dry or too sweet.?Six gal. is alot of wine to just dump

I have dumped 6 GL before, but not before I tried to fix it. That being said the very best Reisling I have ever made I was ready to dump at one point. To tart, to sweet or to dry can be fixed

Learn how to make brandy, which may or may not be legal. You could also fortify the wine and make some sort of port or sherry. Another option is to make wine vinegar. When all else fails, cook with it.

simple: don't screw up :)

seriously though, by following some standard guidelines for adding acid, good recipe formulation, and knowing the types of wine you like already (i.e. I like most reds, esp merlot and chianti...I dislike most whites, especially chardonay)...you'll minimize the chances of making a stinker.

Also, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean its bad wine. Give it out as gifts. Most 'kit wines' will only run $2-$4 per bottle, and you get about 30 bottles per 6 gallon kit.

you could effectively cover all your christmas gifts to relatives for less than $70, while having fun! (i enjoy making and watching fermentation as much as I enjoy drinking the finished product).

simple: don't screw up :)

seriously though, by following some standard guidelines for adding acid, good recipe formulation, and knowing the types of wine you like already (i.e. I like most reds, esp merlot and chianti...I dislike most whites, especially chardonay)...you'll minimize the chances of making a stinker.

Also, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean its bad wine. Give it out as gifts. Most 'kit wines' will only run $2-$4 per bottle, and you get about 30 bottles per 6 gallon kit.

you could effectively cover all your christmas gifts to relatives for less than $70, while having fun! (i enjoy making and watching fermentation as much as I enjoy drinking the finished product).
I love it after reading your post I look down and Chardonnay is on list in fermenter

Ive only dumped 1 6 gallon batch and it was a mistake of over sulfiting before I even made wine from it. To this day Ive only ever made 1 batch I didnt like and I bottles it as most wines you dont like now will turn around after 1 year and become good but Im betting these bottles will get dumped but who knows. Ive made 2 wines that I almost dumped and man am I glad I didnt cause after 8 months they were both very good. 1 was a RJS white Ice wine that was just disgusting at bottling time and is very very good now!!!!!

Larry,

Consider these points.

Why do you make wine ??

My reason is that I want to make a beverage that is better to my liking as the store bought booze.
If that would not be my motive, I would just go to the shops and buy some wine, and not put all that effort in.

Next it is a hobby. It is not my living

And then costs are low compared to other hobbies.

So whenever I make a batch that is not upto these standards I toss it. Last summer I tossed 30 liter pumpkin wine. It was a good made wine, not too sweet, not to acidic, good flavor. We just did not like it.

I tossed a ricewine. Same story. It was well made, I just did not like it.

I also tossed 30 liter (4500 had picked petals) of dandelion must. That one spoiled on me.

Learn to toss bad batches and in the end you will end up making only good ones.

Luc

Hmm..LUC, sounds like maybe I should be camping out underneath your drain!!!!LOL

Troy

Troy better yet. Bring him some of your good cooking and see if that doesn't get you access to his really good stuff instead!

Blending with mistakes

I have noticed that most have 6 gal. equipment.I was just wondering what do u do if you make that much wine and you dont like it after wheather its to tart,to dry or too sweet.?Six gal. is alot of wine to just dump

Larry, I have found that blending it with another wine that either lacks body or something else may be the answer, too. I had a horrible extra-dry grapefruit wine that really tasted great with a very wet strawberry wine. Put on your white labcoat and go at it.

Most important: Try small 1-2 gallon batches of home made wine and then decide what you want a buttload of and follow your 1st recipe to a tee..this has worked best for me.

I feel a need to add that I have made wine I thought sucked and friends and nieghbors loved it. Good thing we dont all like the same things, this would be a boring world

Latest posts

Back