wine not fermenting in 4 days!!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s your starting SG? pH? Total Acid? Did you add enough yeast nutrients? EC1118 is a beast, so IF you really did do everything correct, and I assume you did, check the date on the yeast pack and ensure it’s still valid. Dead yeast can’t eat, since it’s juice bucket, perhaps some fermentation already occurred before you received it? Again, what was original SG and what is it now, for BOTH containers?
Otherwise, just be patient and let the wine come to you.

stupid mistake on my part, i didnt measure the specific gravity when i first got the juice. it wasn't from juice i bought grapes and crushed pressed same day and added the yeast 24 hours after my sulphites which i should have waited longer. i measured the sg few days after and just today and it hasnt moved its at the 90 mark at the bottom of meter. im not sure how to measure ph or total acid? thats something that i have to look into for next year. this is what my tank looks like today. its getting more bubbles on the top but still staying the same for the sg. its been a week exactly today!!!

what i just did was i gave both of them a good stir and took two cups from the fermenting batch and poured it on top of this one to get things going. so well see what happens in a few hours.

how do you guys feel about stirring? ive been reading that for the first couple days dont stir but once it start to stir all the time?IMG_2594.jpg

He indicated that he crushed and pressed white grapes. How much sulfite was added?

How much would you suggest for 16 cases? I’ve been told 1 pack for every two.

I should have waited 36 hours to add the yeast in the first place not 24 and maybe a little less sulfite

If your "hot" water was over 110°, you probably killed the yeast when hydrating it. If the temperature difference between the hydrated yeast and the juice was greater than 20°, then you probably shocked the yeast to the point where most of them died. IMHO, your best bet at this point would be to get some new yeast and sprinkle it on top of the juice.

You added 92 ppm so2, you'll still eventually ferment, but that's enough to delay the yeast especially if the yeast is not handled carefully.

I added more yeast on Friday to both of them and that was what got the one fermenting this good. But now I’m still waiting on the one. I added some of the fermenting juice to the none fermenting juice so I hope that help kick start it.

I know everybody hates this question but what do you guys think should I stir or not stir the troubled fermenting tank?

And how long can grape juice sit there before it goes bad? That’s what I’m worried about.

I do think it’s fermenting a little bit I think the hydrometer dropped 2 points but we’ll see tomorrow.

And how long can grape juice sit there before it goes bad? That’s what I’m worried about.

I do think it’s fermenting a little bit I think the hydrometer dropped 2 points but we’ll see tomorrow.
More likely it will start fermenting from wild yeast in the air. But what else gets in there and starts breeding is another issue. Did you sprinkle any new yeast on top? As I mentioned before, when rehydrating yeast, the water temperature is critical as is the length of time the yeast spends in the water and the temperature differential between the rehydrated yeast solution and the must. It doesn't sound like you controlled any of those factors and I believe that most, if not all, of your yeast probably died. Your best bet would be to sprinkle new yeast on top without any rehydration.

I say stir. When my fermentation seems sluggish, a good stir will foam up the must. It may go back to still but stirring a few times a day should speed fermentation right up. I made a Cab Sav kit (first time; rest have been fruit wines) that never foamed. I added a second yeast package; still never foamed but the SG dropped right on schedule. I kept stirring and testing! Don't give up hope.

I woke up to this this morning :) very happy that it actually started fermenting good.

I added yeast again on this past Friday and while my one tank took off right away with the fermenting this one didn’t. It took this one until this morning to start full blown fermentation

I’m trying to send a pic of it this morning but this forum is giving me a hard time

I added the yeast dry on Friday just left it on top.

Do you guys think there is anything bad about it being such a slow fermentation? Does it affect the end outcome of the wine? This has never happened before.

Next year I’m going to buy a warming belt and add more yeast and less sulfite while waiting long in between the sulfite and yeast.

I woke up to this this morning :) very happy that it actually started fermenting good.

I added yeast again on this past Friday and while my one tank took off right away with the fermenting this one didn’t. It took this one until this morning to start full blown fermentation

I’m trying to send a pic of it this morning but this forum is giving me a hard time

I added the yeast dry on Friday just left it on top.

Do you guys think there is anything bad about it being such a slow fermentation? Does it affect the end outcome of the wine? This has never happened before.

Next year I’m going to buy a warming belt and add more yeast and less sulfite while waiting long in between the sulfite and yeast.

I also added juice from the fermenting tank to the none fermenting tank so maybe that helped a little bit too.

I understand slow ferment is better than fast and cooler fermentation temps for the whites. I think you'll be fine. I haven't do a good study but I think sprinkling the yeast on top may work best for me too.

Latest posts

Back