Wine not clearing.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travelnutt

Junior
Reaction score
After fermentation, I put some wine clearing findings in. The wine clear right up, so I racked it again to get it off the cleared sediment to prepare it for bottling. At the last minute I decided to clear it a little more, so I gave it another clearing treatment. Whoops!!! Mistake. The wine clouded up terribly and no matter what I've tried it will not clear. Any suggestions on what I can do to clear it again?

Out of curiosity, what clearing agent did you use?
The first time I used a wine findings kit that I got from a wine supply store. It's a two-part "A" and "B" . I've used it for years, and it's always been fine. Then the second time I used a liquid gelatin that I had left over from a wine kit. Both were a bit old. Could that have been a problem. I keep the refrigerated

I've never refrigerated my fining agents. I know chitosan can get crystalized when it's been too cold (it's the B part of the two step fining product) and I've had problems with it when it does. I don't know what to tell you as far as your next step other than waiting it out now, but hopefully others will jump in to offer suggestions.

I've never refrigerated my fining agents. I know chitosan can get crystalized when it's been too cold (it's the B part of the two step fining product) and I've had problems with it when it does. I don't know what to tell you as far as your next step other than waiting it out now, but hopefully others will jump in to offer suggestions.
Thanks

As you can see, this quote cloudy. I suspect may the gelatin didn't. Do you think egg whites white clear it? Or is it a lost cause?

Attachments

• 20200803_184721.jpg
    20200803_184721.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200803_184646.jpg
    20200803_184646.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 20
A second dose of chitosan and Kieselol (SuperKleer, Dual Fine, etc.) has worked for me in the past. Package says not to transport or store below 40 degrees.
Although I have kept it refrigerated, I live in a very hot climate. Averaging year round close to 100⁰f, ( around 36- 39C). Maybe it just got old? What if I leave it in the fermenter and wait, and then try get some fresh finings. (I live in a place where these things are not available even on line), I'm gonna be away for about six weeks. Ok to leave it without bottling?

Although I have kept it refrigerated, I live in a very hot climate. Averaging year round close to 100⁰f, ( around 36- 39C). Maybe it just got old? What if I leave it in the fermenter and wait, and then try get some fresh finings. (I live in a place where these things are not available even on line), I'm gonna be away for about six weeks. Ok to leave it without bottling?
If it's been stabilized, it should be ok. It may even clear in that time.

As you can see, this quote cloudy. I suspect may the gelatin didn't. Do you think egg whites white clear it? Or is it a lost cause?
That is a LOT of headspace. You don't have anything smaller to put it in? Or is that just a temporary container? Maybe someone here can advise you about how much k-meta might help protect it for 6 weeks if left open like that. And I don't see much solution in your air lock, although with that much air in the carboy it probably doesn't matter.

And maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you said after your first application of fining agents (KC - Kieselsol/Chitosan), your wine "cleared right up." So you racked it off the lees. Are you sure you left all the lees behind? Was it still clear after racking? I ask because then you added another fining agent "to clear it a little more." In my books, clear is clear. If it can clear a little more, then it isn't clear.

The only problem I ever had with KC is when I accidentally stirred up the lees after the wine was clear. It originally cleared in 2 days. After stirring up the lees, it was still cloudy after a week. If that were my wine that I had to leave for 6 weeks, I would add 1/4 tsp k-meta per 5/6 gallons of wine, get it into a carboy with minimum headspace (wine into the neck where the surface area is smallest), add another dose of KC (DualFine, SuperKleer, Claro K.C., Kieselso/Chitosan - all different names for the same thing) as per directions, and make sure the air lock is at least half full with sterilizing solution. In six weeks it will be clear, clear. If not, or if not close, then something about the gelatin messed it up, and you can experiment then, possibly with small samples. Or, as mentioned, maybe don't even add the KC. It very likely will clear in 6 weeks without it.

After fermentation, I put some wine clearing findings in. The wine clear right up, so I racked it again to get it off the cleared sediment to prepare it for bottling. At the last minute I decided to clear it a little more, so I gave it another clearing treatment. Whoops!!! Mistake. The wine clouded up terribly and no matter what I've tried it will not clear. Any suggestions on what I can do to clear it again?
I have used crushed egg shells to clear unforgiving wines with some success. It might be worth a try.........can't hurt, and can only help. Currently I have a rhubarb and a jalapeno/vegetable wine clearing with them......................Dizzy

Thanks that helps a lot. Ill act on your advice.

That is a LOT of headspace. You don't have anything smaller to put it in? Or is that just a temporary container? Maybe someone here can advise you about how much k-meta might help protect it for 6 weeks if left open like that. And I don't see much solution in your air lock, although with that much air in the carboy it probably doesn't matter.

And maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you said after your first application of fining agents (KC - Kieselsol/Chitosan), your wine "cleared right up." So you racked it off the lees. Are you sure you left all the lees behind? Was it still clear after racking? I ask because then you added another fining agent "to clear it a little more." In my books, clear is clear. If it can clear a little more, then it isn't clear.

The only problem I ever had with KC is when I accidentally stirred up the lees after the wine was clear. It originally cleared in 2 days. After stirring up the lees, it was still cloudy after a week. If that were my wine that I had to leave for 6 weeks, I would add 1/4 tsp k-meta per 5/6 gallons of wine, get it into a carboy with minimum headspace (wine into the neck where the surface area is smallest), add another dose of KC (DualFine, SuperKleer, Claro K.C., Kieselso/Chitosan - all different names for the same thing) as per directions, and make sure the air lock is at least half full with sterilizing solution. In six weeks it will be clear, clear. If not, or if not close, then something about the gelatin messed it up, and you can experiment then, possibly with small samples. Or, as mentioned, maybe don't even add the KC. It very likely will clear in 6 weeks without it.

Back