Wine Making w/out additives

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made hard cider using nothing but pressed juice from the apples on my trees; no added yeast, sugar, or chemicals. I transfer the juice into glass bottles and place them out in the sun for a couple days to let the ultra-violet rays from the sun pasteurize the juice, place wax paper over the opening, and screw the caps on and let them ferment. People may advise against this method as there's a risk of carbon dioxide buildup and the bottles may explode, but as long as you unscrew the caps 1-2 times a day there isn't really any risk of 'bottle-bombs', and I have never experienced one. I personally enjoy the flavors the wild yeast and bacteria add to the cider, and the bacteria can add enjoyable textures to the fermentation product, much like Malolactic Fermentation (MLF), the sealed container also retains carbonation, leaving you with a nice sparkling hard cider to enjoy on a hot day after working. If carbonation isn't preferred, one can always degas as usual.

The only real downside to not using additives, particularly Potassium Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate, is that the shelf-life of your fermentation product is shortened, but even in that case once you run the fermentation dry (meaning there are no remaining fermentable sugars in your fermented solution), you don't have to worry about bottles exploding from pressure, and you can kill the wild bacteria and yeast by boiling the bottles (I use a kettle designed for canning) and putting the bottles in your refrigerator, or even go more au natural and cool them in a snow bank or frozen river. Though usually all of the beverage has been consumed before we even get close to worrying about shelf life... ;)
CiderCarb 18.jpg

Regardless of thread age, it's a good topic of discussion.

Quality of the topic was not my point. Rather that @andrew_ysk asked directly to @Giuseppe who has not been active here since 2011, so would be unlikely to reply.

But none-the-less, replying to stale topics is generally not good "netiquette". After 10 years of no activity, better to start new and fresh where the old comments do not bother with newer, fresher ideas. Best to let old, stale discussions be historical, available via search. :)

IMHO.

Last edited:
Biggest problem is wading through a long thread reading and digesting all the comments and for some 'old hands' here (Not Me), re-digesting comments made by other and sometimes themselves.

I would suggest that if a person reads an old thread and has a question about it - start new thread, summarize your questions or understanding of that old thread - then pose your question or comment. Also past a link to that old thread so that those who wish to can go back and re-read it.

Latest posts

Back