Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am going to start doing an annual survey so I better know what to improve on here at Wine Making Talk.

Would really appreciate a few minutes of your time. I will also be sending this request via e-mail newsletter.

Wine Making Talk 2021 Survey

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Hi, I for one I don't have a lot of tech savvy, so less is more for me,and for me it's just 🙂 fine.
..but that's me.

DarrenUK

Reaction score
I would like to see a "Distiller" thread under the others section. Kettle stills aren't uncommon these days. Plus it would be interesting to see who else dose a run with wine recipes from here. I often will run 5 litres of the wines I make for the sake of making a brandy or to fortified a wine.

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
I would like to see a "Distiller" thread under the others section. Kettle stills aren't uncommon these days. Plus it would be interesting to see who else dose a run with wine recipes from here. I often will run 5 litres of the wines I make for the sake of making a brandy or to fortified a wine.
The rule was made back when this forum started that distillation would not be discussed. It is illegal in the US, where the servers are located.

thunderwagn

Reaction score
The rule was made back when this forum started that distillation would not be discussed. It is illegal in the US, where the servers are located.
Not trying to start an argument or anything, but... I do know TXbrew runs other sites where distilling forums have been opened up for discussion, and my guess is these servers are located in the same place.

Home distillation for spirits is illegal everywhere in the world except for New Zealand, but it does make for an interesting topic for sure.

DarrenUK

Reaction score
That's a shame. It against the law here in the UK too. But that being said you can still freely buy a still in a brewing shop. That's where I got mine 🤔

DarrenUK

Reaction score
Also to clarify...... Is it against the rules here to discuss or mention distilling on this forum? Because I was definitely going to do that once my Strawberry, Raspberry and lime wine was done.
Just so I know. I don't want to get banned or anything.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You are correct. No distillation talk allowed as it is illegal in the US without the proper licensing and permits.

Also to clarify...... Is it against the rules here to discuss or mention distilling on this forum? Because I was definitely going to do that once my Strawberry, Raspberry and lime wine was done.
Just so I know. I don't want to get banned or anything.

DaveMcC

Escaping the prison of past and future, with wine.
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
There are a couple of large forums dedicated to distillation for alcohol, which is illegal unless licensed and permitted here (in the US) by the ATF TTB and each individual State authority. Distillation is not illegal for essential oils, water purification, scientific experimentation, etc.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Home distillation for spirits is illegal everywhere in the world except for New Zealand, but it does make for an interesting topic for sure.
This has been said for years, but I've been told by folks in other countries that distilling for personal use IS legal in more places than New Zealand. Given that I live in the USA, my concern is USA laws, and I did not question what I've been told.

Out of curiosity, I checked NC law -- a distillation license will be issued only to for-profit businesses. No license will be issued for home use, although obviously a license holder can use their own product as well as selling it. I'm also curious why the law is worded as it is.

thunderwagn

Reaction score
This has been said for years, but I've been told by folks in other countries that distilling for personal use IS legal in more places than New Zealand. Given that I live in the USA, my concern is USA laws, and I did not question what I've been told.

Out of curiosity, I checked NC law -- a distillation license will be issued only to for-profit businesses. No license will be issued for home use, although obviously a license holder can use their own product as well as selling it. I'm also curious why the law is worded as it is.
Lol, I think the trains been derailed a bit and apologies.
The laws for every state seem to be all over the place. I think in a nutshell (at least in the states) it's much like marijuana. Regardless of what some states may allow, it's still illegal on a federal level.
Anyway, I do think it's a very interesting topic that's not far off base, but I also totally get the position the staff have taken on the subject for the sake of the website.

DarrenUK

Reaction score
I have been on here a few weeks now and I got to say I really like this site and the people on it are all absolute stars... Its a shame its really just a wine forum at heart. Your all great 👌👍