Wine Making Setup.. Let's see it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been awhile since I posted here. Looking forward to get back in. Have a few big grape projects planned this year so I’ll be getting in and posting lots. Since being active here I did convert an unused downstairs room into my wine making area. Thought I’d share as I tried to make it dual use, bar and media, while building the cabinets from scratch based on my experience of the process of home wine making and brewing. Maybe some folks could get some ideas.

IMG_0177.JPG
first and foremost I added a door. Keep out the munchkins!

IMG_0184.JPG
The sound proofing in the wall I also added in the ceiling.

IMG_0052.JPGIMG_0036.JPG
Wires and plumbing and speakers blah blah blah

IMG_0134.JPG
Pulled a third of the carpet and microtopped and acid stained the concrete in the bar area.

IMG_0116.JPG
Custom cab time. Pain in the butt. Worth it though.

I designed the sink, corner and the large double door cab to be purpose built for the flow of wine making and bottling. The double door cab is actually a sliding shelf with 450lb capacity drawer slides and is the fermentation cab. I can vacuum rack between carboys without moving them.View attachment 52638

The attachment feature for the app sucks so if anyone has a question about layout or wants to see a part specifically let me know and I’ll reply with a shot.

Got a Sangiovese/ merlot blend, Riesling and a Belgian Golden Strong Ale in secondary in there at the moment.

A lighter Belgian blond and a Blueberry wine are up next with hopes of a Bordeaux style later in the year from grapes.

View attachment 52639

Attachments

• IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    652.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1700.JPG
    IMG_1700.JPG
    569.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Been awhile since I posted here. Looking forward to get back in. Have a few big grape projects planned this year so I’ll be getting in and posting lots. Since being active here I did convert an unused downstairs room into my wine making area. Thought I’d share as I tried to make it dual use, bar and media, while building the cabinets from scratch based on my experience of the process of home wine making and brewing. Maybe some folks could get some ideas.

View attachment 52626
first and foremost I added a door. Keep out the munchkins!

View attachment 52627
The sound proofing in the wall I also added in the ceiling.

View attachment 52628View attachment 52629
Wires and plumbing and speakers blah blah blah

View attachment 52632
Pulled a third of the carpet and microtopped and acid stained the concrete in the bar area.

View attachment 52633
Custom cab time. Pain in the butt. Worth it though.

I designed the sink, corner and the large double door cab to be purpose built for the flow of wine making and bottling. The double door cab is actually a sliding shelf with 450lb capacity drawer slides and is the fermentation cab. I can vacuum rack between carboys without moving them.View attachment 52638

The attachment feature for the app sucks so if anyone has a question about layout or wants to see a part specifically let me know and I’ll reply with a shot.

Got a Sangiovese/ merlot blend, Riesling and a Belgian Golden Strong Ale in secondary in there at the moment.

A lighter Belgian blond and a Blueberry wine are up next with hopes of a Bordeaux style later in the year from grapes.

View attachment 52639

RESPECT!

That looks fantastic! What was your timeline from start to finish btw?

I like how you were able to work around the low window creating a useful lower counter- window actually helped ya.
Couple things. — First, you posted 10 pictures it seems , but only 8 uploaded correctly. 7th and 8th pics are broken links.
Building your own cabs is great- something I’d love to do one day. Don’t know how you ever found the time! What type of material was used for the cabinets?
And the flooring. “Microtopped and acid stained”. Care to elaborate a little more on what ya did there? Awesome awesome awesome room my friend! Thank you for sharing

RESPECT!

That looks fantastic! What was your timeline from start to finish btw?

I like how you were able to work around the low window creating a useful lower counter- window actually helped ya.
Couple things. — First, you posted 10 pictures it seems , but only 8 uploaded correctly. 7th and 8th pics are broken links.
Building your own cabs is great- something I’d love to do one day. Don’t know how you ever found the time! What type of material was used for the cabinets?
And the flooring. “Microtopped and acid stained”. Care to elaborate a little more on what ya did there? Awesome awesome awesome room my friend! Thank you for sharing

Thanks Ajmassa5983,

What was your timeline from start to finish btw?

With 3 little ones and a full time job outside of hobbies, ~ 9 months. I had planned on pouring my on concrete countertop but found a granite counter guy locally that had some overrun and it came out less than tools and materials on concrete so that shaved a little time.

Thanks. That large drawer does a good job holding vacuum, filter, induction burner, etc. The counter height works well for press and floor corker. Wash bottles -> Sanitize -> Cork = Left to right flow.

View media item 4614

Yeah. Difficult with the mobile app. On the computer now. Easier. Green on the bottom is my putting green that I role out occasionally for moments of zen while working from home...

View media item 4619View media item 4617

PITA - Take your time and do it right on the finish. Thats the key. I bought raw lumber for the face frames - White Maple. birch plywood for the rest. HPLV sprayer for applying clear coat. If you're tech savvy check out SketchUp. Free for non-commercial. Takes a little getting used to but with accurate room measurements you can design and create a cut list. Awesome. Built a makeshift spray booth. Folks thought it was a meth lab.

View media item 4616
Microtopped and acid stained”. Care to elaborate a little more on what ya did there?

This was on slab so concrete under carpet. Pulled back and applied a micro topper which you can order through paint stores. It is a thin surface you apply over clean concrete to provide a easily acid stained surface. Then sprayed two different acid stain colors, let sit then hose and vacuum and apply a clear coat.

What is the temperature that your basement is at for wine storage?
Also I was wondering how dark should the basement be for storing the full 6 gallon carboys? My brew storage area is on the same wall as the basement window but 20 feet from it NO direct sunlight ever. If I come down in the basement even on a sunny day I have to turn on the lights to see well enough to work or read a label.

Sorry, I just saw this reply now. That corner of my basement stays in the low to mid 60’s year round. I wish it was a little cooler but it’s consistent so I’m happy with it. I would think you would want it as dark as possible. My wine making area is on the opposite side of the basement from the windows. They don’t let it in much light anyways so it’s near dark most of the time. Some of the most famous wine cellars are caves, so I would think trying emulate that cool, dark, consistent environment as best as possible would be the goal for any wine cellar.

My fermentation cabinet tends to maintain early to mid seventies and I had rarely thought to mess with it given I haven't done Riesling from grapes and kits are pasteurized. When I started to brew Belgian beers however I started to use my wine room fridge which I had sized with the intent of being able to cold stabilize carboys in. So rather than utilize the garage and its inconsistencies I decided to work a way to maintain 64 degree fermentation temps for the Belgian using the fridge, some insulation and a fermwrap. This pick is my first iteration. My next will be with the Speidel so I will use a fitted sheet to wrap it directly. The insulation is to protect the fridge temp from the wine rather than the other way around. Using a Rainbird termostat and a thermowell. Should work well for cold fermenting wine too. Wont hesitate on sourcing some Riesling grapes next time.

Attachments

• 56452134312__CA18A60B-221A-4227-AA29-CCA1DD74036C.jpeg
    56452134312__CA18A60B-221A-4227-AA29-CCA1DD74036C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • 56452136107__7006CE58-D4D5-4E0F-9334-2399B7F459AD.jpeg
    56452136107__7006CE58-D4D5-4E0F-9334-2399B7F459AD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 58
  • 56452403436__2AE88790-E07E-4D27-9A62-F272A7EED6B3.jpeg
    56452403436__2AE88790-E07E-4D27-9A62-F272A7EED6B3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
IMG_0631.jpg IMG_0635.jpg IMG_0638.jpg IMG_0646.jpg IMG_0648.jpg IMG_0631.jpg IMG_0635.jpg IMG_0638.jpg IMG_0646.jpg IMG_0648.jpg So, I convinced the wife that a winery would be a great addition to the basement. Started the build the end of August with working weekends. Finished the build in late November. First wines started late January. Room is 7' x 8'-6".

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 56841834755__8368982F-9DCA-4826-8055-9501932C34BA.jpg
    56841834755__8368982F-9DCA-4826-8055-9501932C34BA.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
Turned out great! Do you have wine racks set up now or down the road?

So, I convinced the wife that a winery would be a great addition to the basement. Started the build the end of August with working weekends. Finished the build in late November. First wines started late January. Room is 7' x 8'-6".

Latest posts

Back